Newsweek Toiletgate Heats Up

Pangloss

This is rapidly turning into a fascinating example of the need for caution in reporting. As you may have heard, Newsweek reported last week that an anonymous senior official told them that guards at Guantanamo had tried to intimidate prisoners by flushing the Koran down the toilet. The administration and the Pentagon reacted angrily to the assertions, which came with no proof of any kind. But the damage was done, and dozens are dead in demonstrations in the Middle East as a direct result of this story being reported.

Newsweek today said it might have erred in running the story. That's huge.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/15/international/asia/15cnd-afghan.html?ex=1273809600&en=eba1cc00582319f4&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Interesting bits:

Newsweek reported an even angrier reaction from the Pentagon spokesman, Lawrence DiRita to the article. Told that an anonymous government official had insisted to a reporter that he clearly recalled investigative reports describing "a toilet incident" -- but might have been confused about where exactly he saw this -- the magazine said, "DiRita exploded: 'People are dead because of what this son of a bitch said. How could he be credible now?' "

...in an editorial, the magazine said, "we regret that we got any part of our story wrong and extend our sympathies to victims of the violence and to the U.S. soldiers caught in its midst."

Yes, I'm sure Koran's are very easily flushed down the toilet, as is the NYC telephone book.

If the Muslims flushed a bible down the toilet, how many people would be killed in demonstrations ?

Is there a difference between flushing a Koran and burning a flag ?

When you attack someone's politically beliefs it may not be such a big deal, people are provided the right to disagree with the government in many countries. However, when you attack someone's personal religious beliefs that have been instilled in them since they were children and is their way of life, I can see how that may become a big deal.

There might be a difference or not. But I do not think there is any reason to burn the flag. A flag belongs to a nation and NOBODY should reserve the right to burn it or whatever.

Also, you cannot judge a nation by only one person; it would be racism.

The casue of everything that is happening all around the world is: "Lack of education".

Also, you cannot judge a nation by only one person; it would be racism.

Not all people from a nation are nessicarily the same race, there are many different races in some countries, so it's more like "discrimination against people from a certain nation" (nationism??) not racism.

The casue of everything that is happening all around the world is: "Lack of education".

Maybe not everything, but most negative things are.

The thing about this situation that befuddled me was that the allegations weren't new or particularly exciting. Perhaps there was a greater response because they were being put out there by a government source. I think it was largely just a rallying cry by anti-US agitaters, especially as it's spring in Afghanistan and time to get back to war. Here's an article that goes over some of the previous allegations:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/17/AR2005051701315.html

Yes, as you say I think the difference that this time was that it was alleged to be confirmed by a credible source. In the past it was always just reported as a rumor.

But I see your point. It's not the sort of subtle distinction one would expect from the proverbial "angry mob".