What do you make of this ? (Education System Corruption)

Guest Neutronix

Guest Neutronix

An appalling situation has arisen at my local college, a few months ago a proposition by another (and FAR less successful college) in the area begun to be considered - The proposition was for a merger.

Now I've always hated whatever place I am learning in, but that doesn't stop me from realizing how good it is in reality, and the college i'm at now has some of the best departments in the country. The 'other college' has a ... far lower reputation for anything really (My college being academic, the other focusing on mainly on Modern Apprenticeships and 'Skilled' Manual Work)

Our college is also on a brilliant site, we've got a huge park right next to us, the entire town at our fingertips, and transport running almost alongside us. The other site is far out of town and the students basically have to stay on the site all day because there's nowhere else to go, and they have about 2 poor quality places to eat within walking distance. The terms of the merger are that we would leave our current site and move in 'next door' in this remote location.

The Staff and Students on the whole in the other college are of nowhere near as higher quality students and tend to have a lot of 'troublemakers' (or well, to put it how it should be, yobs... and yes of course I accept there are exceptions) who the future students of my college, which currently has a pretty nice atmosphere will have to spend their time with them, and they're not the friendliest of sorts.

So they talked and progressed etc, and nothings been finalized yet, but a vote was taken for all students to see their opinion on the matter. the result was, I kid you not, as follows :

100% Against

Nearly every student (It was about 1290 of the 1300) voted. You'd have thought, not having any support from its student body, what actually makes up the college, they would have stopped. But like so many things with the education system there is corruption - money to be made, and a headteacher's career to be advanced.

I accept a college needs as much money as it can get but this will destroy it. The headteacher continues to drive progress into the merger forward, and after researching into all the 'benefits' of the merger it looks like the only significant change would be the rank of the headteacher, which would become more powerful over more people, "hoping only to add another notch to his belt" in effect. At any cost, even his own students.

So, what do you think, is this right that they drive on with a unified disagreement from the student body ?