Today I Learned

DrmDoc

10 hours ago, TheVat said:

With possibly also elements of the German series, Dark.  

Except one (or two?) episodes of 'Tales from the Loop' playing with time, it is not the essence of the series, as it is in 'Dark'. The episodes of 'Tales' are relatively independent, but there are a few running threads through the episodes. But maybe this is not the place to discuss that.

Maybe the admins could open a new forum for discussing movies and series?

Ups, I did not say that! :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Eise said:

Except one (or two?) episodes of 'Tales from the Loop' playing with time, it is not the essence of the series, as it is in 'Dark'. The episodes of 'Tales' are relatively independent, but there are a few running threads through the episodes. But maybe this is not the place to discuss that.

Maybe the admins could open a new forum for discussing movies and series?

Ups, I did not say that! :rolleyes:

I'm game! Swansont and MigL need to do a deep dive into Farscape lol

48 minutes ago, Moontanman said:

Travelers dude! Travelers is the show to watch! Time travel is the bomb! 

As a massive Dr Who fan, this I can appreciate! Will watch for sure thank you!

5 minutes ago, MSC said:

As a massive Dr Who fan, this I can appreciate! Will watch for sure thank you!

The premise is quite unique for Travelers, a relatively new take on an old trope. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, jonasdouglas said:

Today I learned some interesting things about SEO marketing as I was reading through the internet.

Today I learned, there's more people who speak English in China than in the USA. 😉

Today  learned that female cicadas seem to confuse the sound of lawnmowers with the sound of male cicadas. I can walk through my yard and maybe have a couple of cicadas fly into me. When I cut the grass it is more on the order of 100 or so that land on me, one after the other.

1 minute ago, zapatos said:

Today  learned that female cicadas seem to confuse the sound of lawnmowers with the sound of male cicadas. I can walk through my yard and maybe have a couple of cicadas fly into me. When I cut the grass it is more on the order of 100 or so that land on me, one after the other.

Think yourself lucky, I got a Turkey who thinks I'm sexy enough to gobble at...

8 minutes ago, zapatos said:

Watch out for the ones with fuzzy butts! 

• 2 weeks later...

This week, thanks to @joigus, I learned about squircles and some associated mathematics. A squircle is a shape intermediate between circle and a square. I got fascinated and then, for reasons unknown, curious about the possibility of a shape that is between a triangle and a circle. I searched and it was easy to find images but not names or mathematical definitions; "triangular squircle" is obviously not a good starting point in a search engine. 

But the search led me to the cool shapes generated by roulettes** and finally after some experiments the Hypotrochoid: A hypotrochoid is traced by a point attached to a circle of radius r rolling around the inside of a fixed circle of radius R, where the point is a distance d from the center of the interior circle.

With parameters  d=1, r=3, R=9 I get the triangular shape I was looking for:
image.thumb.png.4f29e1d590ed6bf17dfe6a2b923ee2c1.png 

**) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roulette_(curve)

8 hours ago, Ghideon said:

With parameters  d=1, r=3, R=9 I get the triangular shape I was looking for

So, not a trircle ?

On 4/23/2024 at 5:40 AM, MSC said:

I'm game! Swansont and MigL need to do a deep dive into Farscape lol

First three episodes of The Boys S04 just dropped.
Now waiting on S Stallone's Tulsa King S02.

Not learning anything watching TV shows.

Edited by MigL

2 minutes ago, MigL said:

So, not a trircle ?

First three episodes of The Boys S04 just dropped.
Now waiting on S Stallone's Tulsa King S02.

I've been watching Andromeda after work for a few months now. Almost at the end of season 3. Only ever recal seeing an episode or two as a Kid when it was on TV but never really tuned in. 

Having grown up on Star Trek ( saw my first episode 'Who Mourns For Adonais' in 1971 ), I'm sort of spoiled for other sci-fi series; at least until Star Trek: Voyager.
I find all other sci-fi series 'cheesy'.
Even the new Star Treks ( Picard, Discovery, etc ) are kind of lame, although I do like Strange New Worlds.

5 hours ago, MigL said:

So, not a trircle ?

Good question! I did try and found related shapes such as

Reuleaux triangleimage.png.206283ab2b736b0deed48cb37a689625.png

Rounded triangle image.png.570d0cd7e29ba96ff3b0800a1ed1e4ba.png

Epitrochoids image.thumb.png.37add15101448402ed1bb394202da435.png

Deltoidimage.png.0ac5ffa2de5d36b91038c1899039c29f.png

But not the one I wanted.

Edited by Ghideon
Image posted twice

• 4 weeks later...

Today I learned about the existence of ECC (elliptic curve cryptography). A cryptographic method which seems to bee just as efficient as RSA, but with smaller-size keys.

Thanks to @Ghideon.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I learned that sometimes you can increase photosynthesis in plants by reducing the sunlight they are exposed to.

While listening to a gardening podcast there was a discussion of the impact of heat on photosynthesis. Some garden plants stop photosynthesizing at about 85 F.  If you provide some shade you can locally cool the area and provide potentially a couple of extra hours per day of plant growth.

TIL that children's tendency to dislike vegetables may actually be an evolutionary advantage. Vegetables tend to be somewhat bitter, but so are poisons.  Children have more taste buds than adults, since we lose them as we age, which makes them more sensitive to this bitter taste.  With their smaller size, it takes a smaller amount of poison to be lethal, so a greater tendency to spit out bitter foods decreases the chances of ingesting enough toxins to be fatal if they put the wrong thing into their mouth.

• 5 weeks later...

i learned from the newest member of the Vat household that five week old kittens will eat unscented cat litter, even when high quality food is available.  (the mom cat's human had a baby last night and, due to circumstances, the adoption we were going to do at 7-8 weeks was moved up; fortunately the weaning process was well underway, so the litter snack didn't displace dinner too much)

IMG_20240820_070309.thumb.jpg.9514d4f069b6424f007697afaaf773ee.jpg