Miracles

JPQuiceno

Do they happen? Are they real? I'm an athesit, but today I was talking with a christian theist, and he kept saying that there are tons of cases of people that were parylyzed being healed and people with aids that had their doctors saying that they were going to die in a year, and they went to the doctor and said there was no more aids, after the person prayed for them. Is this true? Discuss.

To a believer, a miricale is anything that they cannot explain, or choose not to investigate too deeply.

But what, really, is the definition of a miracle? Is it something that actually defies the laws of nature or just an unlikely event? I think it's the latter. People don't understand statistics, and tend to want an explanation for everything. So if something with really bad odds happens to them, they want to think there's a reason they were chosen for that event, thus the event was a miracle to them. There's also the "remember the hits and forget the misses" phenomenon in action.

More on the topic.