Multiculturalism and Freedom of Expression

ku

Multiculturalism is a result of freedom of expression. Culture is perceived by perople. For people to perceive culture it has to be expressed by others. Therefore, to argue against multiculturalism is to argue against freedom of expression.

If a person is against multiculturalism and defends his position by saying that he is free to express himself, wouldn't this be contradictory?

Ku,

Multiculturalism is a result of freedom of expression. Culture is perceived by perople. For people to perceive culture it has to be expressed by others. Therefore, to argue against multiculturalism is to argue against freedom of expression.

Not true in all cases. The Stalinist regime is one of the most oppressive there have ever been, yet Stalinist "culture" is one of the most instantly recognizable in the world. On the other hand, Generation X has opened the door to the most tolerance, freedom, and diverse expression there has ever been, but I challenge you to define it ;)

If a person is against multiculturalism and defends his position by saying that he is free to express himself, wouldn't this be contradictory?

People dont like to admit their beliefs are contradictory, so I'm willing to bet two quiches and a carton of Silk that you'll find people saying things like "I'm not a racist, I'm not intolerant - I'm all for multiculturalism... at least as long as people stick to their own kind".

I'm not intolerant - I'm all for multiculturalism... at least as long as people stick to their own kind".

Maybe it works differently in other nations, but down here that is actually the biggest reason some people have against it.

As various groups are encouraged to "stick to their own kind" it fragments the society into little groups, usually along ethnic lines. This is generally quite divisive and allows the groups to played off against one another by politicians.

For 10 points; Which city was known as "The shining jewel in the crown of Multiculturalism" when it hosted a Winter Olympics?