Crazy people in Canada also

MigL

Even though Canada is over 80%  ( 83 % for 1st dose ), apparently a lot of people still think vaccination is too much of an imposition on their rights and freedoms.
At the current time, several thousand heavy trucks are converging on Parliament hill, in Ottawa, to protest vaccination mandates.
The truck connection is the requirement for truckers crossing the border to make deliveries to be vaccinated, whether entering Canada, or the US.

Apparently J Trudeau, our Prime Minister, didn't think it was enough to claim he had been exposed to someone who tested positive, and would be in isolation; he actually left the Capital for an unknown location, fearing a US style, Jan 6, insurrection.
Police presence is heavy, but this is Canada, I don't think there will be any serious trouble.
Still, the ignorance of these protesters baffles me.
Maybe, instead of doing it one group at a time, the Government should have passed laws making vaccination mandatory for all ( exceptions for age and medical reasons ). That way, specific groups would not feel as being specifically targeted.

Not that I see any sense in any of this, but what do Confederate flags have to do with Canadian protests ????

1 hour ago, MigL said:

Not that I see any sense in any of this, but what do Confederate flags have to do with Canadian protests ????

Those protesting just the mandatory vaccination measures are battle fodder and future recruits for those with more hateful and long-term agendas. 

Long-distance truckers listen to their radio for company on the road. If they travel through the US, there are vast regions where they are subjected to the crazy network: gospel, country, vitriolic commentary and conservative propaganda.

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

Those protesting just the mandatory vaccination measures are battle fodder and future recruits for those with more hateful and long-term agendas. 

Oh yeah!!! Aint that true!! And has been shown in recent Sydney/Melbourne protest marches. Well said!!

5 hours ago, MigL said:

Even though Canada is over 80%  ( 83 % for 1st dose ), apparently a lot of people still think vaccination is too much of an imposition on their rights and freedoms.
At the current time, several thousand heavy trucks are converging on Parliament hill, in Ottawa, to protest vaccination mandates.
The truck connection is the requirement for truckers crossing the border to make deliveries to be vaccinated, whether entering Canada, or the US.

Apparently J Trudeau, our Prime Minister, didn't think it was enough to claim he had been exposed to someone who tested positive, and would be in isolation; he actually left the Capital for an unknown location, fearing a US style, Jan 6, insurrection.
Police presence is heavy, but this is Canada, I don't think there will be any serious trouble.
Still, the ignorance of these protesters baffles me.
Maybe, instead of doing it one group at a time, the Government should have passed laws making vaccination mandatory for all ( exceptions for age and medical reasons ). That way, specific groups would not feel as being specifically targeted.

So actually I wanted to say that the use of confederate flags points to racist who are too cowardly to fly e.g. the Nazi flag. But then there is this:41i9lqaswoe81.jpg

39 minutes ago, CharonY said:

So actually I wanted to say that the use of confederate flags points to racist who are too cowardly to fly e.g. the Nazi flag. But then there is this:41i9lqaswoe81.jpg

They're the opportunists, trying to be the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edited by StringJunky

23 hours ago, MigL said:

And here I thought we were all nice, respectable people in Canada ...

Come on. Are you against women's hockey? I think they are just are just celebrating one of Canada's early Women's hockey Teams, the Fernie Swastikas...

image.png.85eadfe9e0a9c6e29b3de3aeef0be7c2.png 

A symbol chosen for good luck and peace!

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

On 1/30/2022 at 4:06 AM, MigL said:

And here I thought we were all nice, respectable people in Canada ...

It is also the result of propaganda.. If you prevent people from openly sharing extremist ideas, it doesn't mean that those people will automatically disappear.. They still have their worldview, but hidden underground, sharing it only with people similar to themselves.. Spreading to children and family..

2 hours ago, Sensei said:

It is also the result of propaganda.. If you prevent people from openly sharing extremist ideas, it doesn't mean that those people will automatically disappear.. They still have their worldview, but hidden underground, sharing it only with people similar to themselves.. Spreading to children and family..

It is a double-edged sword, though. There is evidence that if there is platform for these extremists ideas, rather than being isolated, they get normalized. I.e. spread can then accelerate to the point where folks want to force teachers to discuss the "both sides" of Nazi Germany.

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.grid.news/story/misinformation/2022/02/08/the-hacked-account-and-suspicious-donations-behind-the-canadian-trucker-protests/

The jumble of misinformation, online fundraising groups and amplification from right-wing political figures suggests there’s more to these protests than meets the eye.

Hundreds of people have been camped out in the icy streets of Ottawa, Canada’s capital city, for more than a week, occupying the area around the nation’s government buildings. It’s a protest ostensibly stemming from some Canadian cross-border truckers’ objections to a Canadian requirement that those who cross the border be vaccinated against covid-19.

But a close look at several “Freedom Convoy” groups and crowdfunding efforts online shows the involvement of anonymous actors, deep-pocketed non-Canadian donors and prominent U.S. right-wing political figures.

Some of the largest Facebook groups responsible for galvanizing support, both ideological and financial, appeared to have been administered through a stolen account, Grid has found.