When Signing In To The Forum

When you sign in to the forum you're asked for your display name and your password. Obviously you have to be asked for your password but instead of having to provide your display name, it might be easier to be able to sign in with your email address.

50 minutes ago, Photon Guy said:

When you sign in to the forum you're asked for your display name and your password. Obviously you have to be asked for your password but instead of having to provide your display name, it might be easier to be able to sign in with your email address.

..you meant "give us an e-mail, we will send to your e-mail a special security code that you will enter to verify that the e-mail reached you" ?

I hate such crap..

I have lost the ability to log into some servers this way.. Emails are no longer available.. and verification codes are not available..

(Verification code sent to the phone number - an even worse idea.. and can be used to hack a smartphone)

2FA is crap..

Used mainly by governments to illegally hack into the accounts of ordinary users..

Therefore they push so hard to have it everywhere..

You don't need anyone's FB password or hacking someone's password (time intensive) if 2FA is enabled on FB or other Internet account..

31 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Why would that be easier?  How much trouble is it to type a logon name, especially when any web browser will store a logon name for you and input it automatically?  

Because sometimes I forget my display name. Im on other forums too and I use different display names on different forums so display names can be confusing and easy to forget in such a situation. An email address is much easier to remember since I've got only one. 

1 hour ago, Photon Guy said:

Because sometimes I forget my display name. Im on other forums too and I use different display names on different forums so display names can be confusing and easy to forget in such a situation. An email address is much easier to remember since I've got only one. 

My browser remembers my login and password. I only have to log in on my phone, because I use it intermittently and the cookie expires. 

Popular browsers allow this. If you are on a personal device.

12 hours ago, Photon Guy said:

An email address is much easier to remember since I've got only one. 

I prefer a different approach; having one separate email adress per online registration*. I prefer similar (or identical) user name for different sites and the ability to drop an email adress if it is misused. I notice that some sites allow for the user to enter username or email adress, maybe such an option will be available in this forum.

Example screen shot from a random internet service:

image.png.5d7fcfe909d520261b4d6685f7e509f4.png

*) there are automated services for this to reduce any overhead or administration

My browser remembers my login and password. I only have to log in on my phone, because I use it intermittently and the cookie expires. 

Popular browsers allow this. If you are on a personal device.

Sometimes your browser might not remember your username if you've been signed out for a long time.

I think you should at least have the option of signing in with your e-mail address instead of your username. 

57 minutes ago, Photon Guy said:

Sometimes your browser might not remember your username if you've been signed out for a long time.

I think you should at least have the option of signing in with your e-mail address instead of your username. 

My browser keeps a list of saved signups with user name and password. Even if it doesn't bring it up when you log in, you can go to settings/passwords, bring up the list and look it up.  It is also advisable to back up the file with this info onto external storage from time to time, so you can import it to a new computer if your present one suddenly fails.