NASA announces heavy lift rocket of 125 tonnes for Moon mission

Obba

NASA today, mentioned about going to the moon (heard it before). Then i read that they want to make a 125tonne heavy lifting launcher...

Why don't they just make a small 50tonne lifter (the shuttle does 20 i think), and have it dock at the ISS, then send up the next 50tonnes and assemble the whole thing in space?

At least it will maintained by the existing ISS crew. Include some additional thrusters to keep the whole thing 'up there'.

Maybe no need for the 50tonne part to even be connected to the ISS - just have it floating around close by (tethered), so the ISS crew can go over and look after it.

If a 125tonne launch fails, then all is lost.

125tonnes seems a hell of lot of weight and power to risk in one shot.

I thought the whole idea of a ISS was to have a platform manned 'BASE' in orbit - about time we used it for a platform.

I wasn't aware of anything that could do 125tonnes, so i did a quick google.

Which model of Saturn V are you reffering to? The biggest i found was Model:

Saturn V. Family: Saturn V. Country: USA. Three-stage lunar landing booster.

LEO Payload: 118,000 kg. to: 185 km Orbit. at: 28.0 degrees. Payload: 47,000 kg. to a: Translunar trajectory

Thats a LEO only, admittedly it's 118tonnes. But to get 'out there', it's only 47tonnes.

the energia rocket russia built could do a bit more.

the shuttle does 60

launching two rockets that can do 50 is probably more expensive, everything would need to be built in space as well (very expensive and difficult). The modular construction would probably hinder structural integrity as well. and finally if you want to launch a 125 tonne space craft you better build a 125 tonne rocket.