Microscope second hand to see living microorganisms

RogerTheBug

Hello everybody !

My 17 years old daughter and me are interested in buying a microscope with enough power to be able to (let's say it that way) "see some cells in action and distinguish its parts, and also some bacteria and so on."

I know that it largely depends on the size of the different cells, bacterias and other subjects  etc (I suppose virus are too small to see...

I wonder if searching a microscope around 150€ is a good try, and if a good second hand one could be a better option to have a better one than a brand new but less powerful one.

Do you have any specific brand or model to start with ? Thanks in advance 😉

• 1 month later...

It's great that you and your daughter want to explore the microscopic world! A budget of around 150€ is reasonable for a good quality microscope to see cells and bacteria. Here are some tips:

1. Magnification: Look for a microscope with at least 400x magnification, preferably up to 1000x.
  2. Optics: Ensure it has good quality lenses, such as achromatic lenses, to correct distortions.
  3. Illumination: LED lighting is best for brightness and longevity.
  4. Build Quality: A sturdy, stable base with metal construction is ideal.
  5. Second-hand Options: Consider reputable brands for used microscopes, ensuring the optics are clean and all parts function well.

Brands like AmScope, OMAX, and Swift offer good entry-level options. Whether new or used, focus on optical quality and functionality. Enjoy your microscopic explorations!