Moon Question

foetaige

'm not too big on astrology but for my line of work, it's becoming a bigger factor. You see I am a amatuer photographer, a night amatuer photographer to be more exact, and moonlight plays a huge role in my line of work. I tend to go out more the week the moon goes from, excuse me if I get this wrong, Gibbious Waxing -> Full Moon -> Gibbious Wanning since that is when I get the most moonlight.

Well to my point. I live in Los Angeles California and was wondering what path the moon takes during the winter. I heard a lot of stuff like, "Summer, the moon goes from south to west and in Winter from north to west." So... the moon rises in either the north or south and always sets in the west? In the month of October, I really want to shoot the moon right over the pacific and with some little research I was able to find out all this stuff:

Apparent geocentric position

Right ascension 2h 0m 48s

Declination 14° 10' 23"

Range 373,225 km

Constellation Aries

Appearance

Diameter 32.02'

Illumination of disk 99%

Libration in longitude 5.022°

Libration in latitude -2.288°

Topocentric Event Time Altitude

Sets: 07:09 +0.1°

Rises: 18:25 +0.1°

Maximum altitude: 00:29 65.1°

This being already set for my location in Los Angeles and on October 17th when the next full moon strikes. What I want to know is, will it be rising or setting in the ocean and at what time will it be just above the horizon.

I'm not asking for you to give me a straight answer, but if you do, thank you very much, but more on how I can find out. Are their any equations that I can plug some of that info into to find out the path, rising and setting times? Thank you for your time.

-Cesar

'm not too big on astrology

Astrology is the mistaken notion that the positions of the heavenly bodies causes direct influences on our daily lives. Astronomy is the scientific study of the heavenly bodies.

Anyway, the moon is full because it can reflect sunlight off of the whole surface that we see - so it is located on the opposite side of the earth from the sun. So the full moon will be on the west horizon at sunrise, and it will be setting. If you want the moon in daylight, you need to shoot it a day or two before full.