Torturing kids with this spelling contest...

Externet

Hi. 

It is happening now, and would like to know if the host/conductor would be capable to compete with the kids...

But, first I must disclose I have never gone to school in U.S. or any other English speaking country and learned English as third language at an academy. So, guilty.

What brings me to post is the mystery when the host tells several pronunciations of the subject word.  WHAT is the host reading to give different ways to pronounce the word in question ?  Is the host reading this senseless <censored> I think is called phonemes ; a few of them to tell the kid the ways it can be pronounced ?

image.jpeg.ead997bd27446a1d59e37d85de9416cf.jpeg

And sad to see how the words selection is being shifted to other languages; either because they are running out of words in English or to make it beyond difficult.   Today they presented a Japanese word and a Korean something fitted in the contest.  Horrible.

Does this spelling thing exist in other languages ?  Thank you.

2 hours ago, Externet said:

Hi. 

It is happening now, and would like to know if the host/conductor would be capable to compete with the kids...

But, first I must disclose I have never gone to school in U.S. or any other English speaking country and learned English as third language at an academy. So, guilty.

What brings me to post is the mystery when the host tells several pronunciations of the subject word.  WHAT is the host reading to give different ways to pronounce the word in question ?  Is the host reading this senseless <censored> I think is called phonemes ; a few of them to tell the kid the ways it can be pronounced ?

image.jpeg.ead997bd27446a1d59e37d85de9416cf.jpeg

And sad to see how the words selection is being shifted to other languages; either because they are running out of words in English or to make it beyond difficult.   Today they presented a Japanese word and a Korean something fitted in the contest.  Horrible.

Does this spelling thing exist in other languages ?  Thank you.

What word are you talking about that has these multiple pronunciations? 

10 hours ago, Externet said:

What brings me to post is the mystery when the host tells several pronunciations of the subject word.  WHAT is the host reading to give different ways to pronounce the word in question ? 

There are pronunciations listed in most dictionaries 

nuance is listed as “nü-än(t)s” at merriam-webster https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nuance

The pronunciation is described by a phonetic alphabet, dashes indicate syllables and sometimes CAPS are used to show which syllable should be emphasized

Different pronunciations could simply be from regional dialects.

8 hours ago, exchemist said:

What word are you talking about that has these multiple pronunciations? 

Am sorry, I was unable to locate a re-run on the web to answer you.  Seems there is several types of the contest and not entire broadcasts available.  It was about 20H00 hours ET the 29 of May on Scripps TV (semifinals ?)

But 'tiny' ; 'either'  are words that come to mind.  And will never understand who decided that 'law' is not written 'lo'  :o

Featherstonehaugh is pronounced Fanshaw.  Thank heavens for that consistency!

And as George Bernard Shaw pointed out:

"Ghoti" spells fish.  The gh in rough, the o in women, the ti in action.