Trump Guilty

StringJunky

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Actor Robert De Niro isn't pulling his punches in his comments on Trump, is he?

Tribeca Bob has not been pulling punches, re TFG, for years.  But people seem to be getting their MAGA panties in a twist lately as if it's a new thing.  RW cancel culture is in full bloom now, with the National Association of Broadcasters rescinding their public service award to Bob a day or two ago.  It was quite the blinding display of hypocrisy given that the NAB is supposed to be big on free speech advocacy.

50 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Tribeca Bob has not been pulling punches, re TFG, for years.  But people seem to be getting their MAGA panties in a twist lately as if it's a new thing.  RW cancel culture is in full bloom now, with the National Association of Broadcasters rescinding their public service award to Bob a day or two ago.  It was quite the blinding display of hypocrisy given that the NAB is supposed to be big on free speech advocacy.

Only if they agree with said 'free' speech.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, swansont said:

Is Washington State a winner takes all  of the electoral college votes?

They would   likely do Trump a favour by taking him off the ballot so that he could whine about  being a victim and concentrate his  resources elsewhere  where  he had an actual  chance of getting electoral votes.

That said ,if that is the law in the State ...

Edited by geordief

12 hours ago, geordief said:

Is Washington State a winner takes all  of the electoral college votes?

I think so. Most are.

There would likely be a down-ballot effect if he’s not on the ballot; some republicans wouldn’t show up to vote, and thus not vote for state or local candidates.

12 hours ago, geordief said:

They would   likely do Trump a favour by taking him off the ballot so that he could whine about  being a victim and concentrate his  resources elsewhere  where  he had an actual  chance of getting electoral votes.

That said ,if that is the law in the State ...

I imagine this would be appealed and SCOTUS might rule that it can’t apply to federal elections. Unlike their foot-dragging with the immunity issue, the’d probably act quickly.

I wonder if his sentence will prohibit associating with other felons. That would really cut down on options; so many of his former staff have been convicted.

Some good news; besides sentencing, being a convicted felon has it's own consequences regardless of what the American judicial system has to say. Unless he gets some special exemption; There are now a great many countries TFG can now no longer travel to as a convicted felon. Including every single country he owns a golf course in! Imagine being leader of the free world and not being free to travel said world. 

To put it into perspective just how bad it is, someone from another country convicted of the same crimes as TFG, in that country, wouldn't be allowed to enter the USA. 

Much like rights in certain states, I’m assuming the restrictions will be set aside by some of the heads of state or legislatures, and simply ignored by some others. But not all.

2 hours ago, swansont said:

Much like rights in certain states, I’m assuming the restrictions will be set aside by some of the heads of state or legislatures, and simply ignored by some others. But not all.

Indeed and it's hard to say at this time which nation states would make an exception if Trump was president again and I would bet my right hand he will bully states with sanctions and whatever else, who refuse to let his convict ass into their country. 

I can safely say that if it was down to the Scottish parliament, he won't be getting in. However the power to make foreign policy decisions is not a devolved power so the UK parliament would probably make that decision. 

I bet the majority of heads of state are really hoping they won't even have to think about making a decision and that Trump will lose in November.

On 6/3/2024 at 12:50 AM, swansont said:

I wonder if his sentence will prohibit associating with other felons. That would really cut down on options; so many of his former staff have been convicted.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't convicted felons not allowed to vote?

Seems like an oversight, not to go all the way with such a law. 😉

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't convicted felons not allowed to vote?

Seems like an oversight, not to go all the way with such a law. 😉

Depends on the state. Some allow it, some restore the right after release, some don’t.

“Florida voters approved a state constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to felons in 2018 but the Republican-controlled Legislature undercut the measure with a complex set of requirements that convicted felons first pay all fines, fees and court costs.”

Plus, DeSantis has declared that the state’s clemency board will make sure his voting rights are restored.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/31/desantis-says-trump-can-still-vote-in-florida-despite-felony-conviction-00161128

3 minutes ago, swansont said:

Depends on the state. Some allow it, some restore the right after release, some don’t.

“Florida voters approved a state constitutional amendment to restore voting rights to felons in 2018 but the Republican-controlled Legislature undercut the measure with a complex set of requirements that convicted felons first pay all fines, fees and court costs.”

Plus, DeSantis has declared that the state’s clemency board will make sure his voting rights are restored.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/31/desantis-says-trump-can-still-vote-in-florida-despite-felony-conviction-00161128

Indeed, I guess it depends on why the law was written, rather than protecting the citizens from themselves...

36 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

I guess it depends on why the law was written

Based on what we’re seeing, it depends more on who the felon is and whether they’re part of the governors in-group or out-group

43 minutes ago, swansont said:

Plus, DeSantis has declared that the state’s clemency board will make sure his voting rights are restored

This doesn't make much sense to me; surely a clemency board only looks at state specific crimes? How can they jurisdictionally grant clemency to a different states conviction? Is it really that simple or is DeSantis wading into a hard legal battle in his home state?

6 minutes ago, iNow said:

Based on what we’re seeing, it depends more on who the felon is and whether they’re part of the governors in-group or out-group

I thought you guy's threw off the shackles of indentured servitude, drugs are bad, m'kay...

1 hour ago, MSC said:

This doesn't make much sense to me; surely a clemency board only looks at state specific crimes? How can they jurisdictionally grant clemency to a different states conviction? Is it really that simple or is DeSantis wading into a hard legal battle in his home state?

The Florida clemency board mentioned decides on restoration of voting rights of felons in that state. DeSantis is the chair. 

It has nothing to do with granting clemency for the conviction, just Florida voting rights. Not a jurisdiction issue.