Modeling Bioremediation

Hi, I have been looking into modelling bioremediation of oil spills as a project and was wondering what types of bioremediators would be effective. I have done some online research and bacteria such as Bacillus Subtilis have come up, as well as the possibility of using things such as compost or manure, as they may contain bacteria which is capable of degrading hydrocarbons such as oil. I was wondering whether there are some other relatively easily sourced homemade additions which I could add to these, as well as how effective the methods mentioned above are. The Bacillus Subtilis is in a powdered form and is approximately 100 billion CFU per gram. Sorry if this question is not appropriate for this forum, I wasn't sure where else I could post it. If so, I will delete.

BTW, would dissolving the Bacillus in a suitable amount of water and then introducing it to the contaminated water be an effective way of introducing it to the oil? I have done some research but haven't really found any definitive answers

• 2 weeks later...

For bioremediation of oil spills, consider using nutrient-rich additions like molasses or fish emulsion. Dissolving Bacillus subtilis in water for application is effective.

On 6/6/2024 at 7:06 AM, TaxidermyBird said:

as well as the possibility of using things such as compost or manure, as they may contain bacteria which is capable of degrading hydrocarbons such as oil.

No on the manure.  Causes algae blooms and oxygen depletion, with far worse effects on coastal waters than the oil itself.   

5 hours ago, Hysda said:

For bioremediation of oil spills, consider using nutrient-rich additions like molasses or fish emulsion

Citation please.