Major breakthrough faster than light travel

nec209

On 6/10/2024 at 1:19 PM, joigus said:

And, as MigL says, every time you measure, this reality is 'updated'. I prefer this term to 'established'.

I had trouble finding the appropriate word.
Updated implies there was a reality prior to a measurement ( carried over from any previous measurement ), but I am of the opinion that we don't, and can't, know the particular state between measurements.
It is the measurement, or interaction, that 'sets', or 'establishes' what is real ( maybe I should put quotations around real also ).

14 hours ago, swansont said:

Star Trek shares a similarity with AI - not based in facts, but generating vaguely plausible-sounding jargon. 

Your fault.
Didn't you do some consulting for them ?

50 minutes ago, MigL said:

It is the measurement, or interaction, that 'sets', or 'establishes' what is real ( maybe I should put quotations around real also ).

Lol I tend to consider the real as being measurable quantities so in my point of view there's no need 😅 

6 hours ago, MigL said:

I had trouble finding the appropriate word.
Updated implies there was a reality prior to a measurement ( carried over from any previous measurement ), but I am of the opinion that we don't, and can't, know the particular state between measurements.

No, it's ok. It was just me splitting hairs, as usual.

8 hours ago, MigL said:

Your fault.
Didn't you do some consulting for them ?

I consulted with a friend who worked on the show. Helped on a couple of scripts.  I don’t think the Kolvoord Starburst or baryon sweep are the issue here, but if they are, then yes. Those are my fault.

4 hours ago, swansont said:

I consulted with a friend who worked on the show. Helped on a couple of scripts.  I don’t think the Kolvoord Starburst or baryon sweep are the issue here, but if they are, then yes. Those are my fault.

You made up the baryon sweep?! I was counting on this being real to remove the baryons my starship accumulates during warp travel. As my comedian friend Bob Meddles says, I didn't get to be a starship captain by living in a fantasy world!

27 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

You made up the baryon sweep?! I was counting on this being real to remove the baryons my starship accumulates during warp travel. As my comedian friend Bob Meddles says, I didn't get to be a starship captain by living in a fantasy world!

Yeah. The sci-fi equivalent of degaussing a sub. My friend didn’t want to add yet another made-up particle to the lexicon

It was originally  “exotic antibaryon sweep” (some un-named metastable particle) but it was edited, which caused some controversy but would be what the tech folks would probably call it 

http://blogs.scienceforums.net/swansont/archives/1043

23 minutes ago, MigL said:

A lot of people probably wish you had succeeded.

Wesley was right up there with picardian shirttail tugging on my list of most annoying STNG things.  That and Riker perpetually leaning or slouching against things (which I suspect was an attempt to have some rakish Kirk-like vibe, in the ship's command, given Picard's* lack in that area).

*not that JLP wasn't an excellent captain, and far more believable holding that Starfleet rank in terms of age, intellect and professional persona.

58 minutes ago, MigL said:

From your link    http://blogs.scienceforums.net/swansont/archives/1043

"Starship Mine isn’t the only episode on which I had some influence. I tried to kill Wesley Crusher once (unsuccessfully, obviously)"

A lot of people probably wish you had succeeded.
He certainly was annoying, and continues to be a source of irritation for Sheldon Cooper.

Only redshirts can get killed off indiscriminately 

3 hours ago, TheVat said:

That and Riker perpetually leaning or slouching against things (which I suspect was an attempt to have some rakish Kirk-like vibe,

No, apparently he has back pain issues; he even walks funny sometimes.
I had heard that, in the last seasons, the pain was so bad he wanted to quit.

3 hours ago, swansont said:

Only redshirts can get killed off indiscriminately 

I always thought the premise for a kid being at the helm of a starship a little far-fetched.
They could have put him in Security instead, and given him a red shirt ...

1 hour ago, MigL said:

No, apparently he has back pain issues; he even walks funny sometimes.
I had heard that, in the last seasons, the pain was so bad he wanted to quit.

One thing my friend noted was that one shoulder tended to droop when he walked, which he emulated when blocking out a scene with Riker in it.. He also impersonated the voices when doing dialog.  His way of getting “into character” as a writer

3 hours ago, MigL said:

I always thought the premise for a kid being at the helm of a starship a little far-fetched.

You obviously didn’t play enough video games. Chances of successful arrival would skyrocket if my kids had the helm over me. 

5 hours ago, iNow said:

Chances of successful arrival would skyrocket if my kids had the helm over me. 

Yeah. 
You're probably a slightly better driver than I am.
And I can't see.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.