Can you sense when someone looks at you?

Around nine years ago now I noticed that when I look at somebody or another living being they react to it. The responses can include; a blink, raised eyebrows, a flinch, look up, look in my direction, or just a general change in trajectory. This phenomenon is known as a gaze response, and the most prominent researcher that I have come across studying it is Rupert Sheldrake. It is not understood how it happens as there is no physical medium or connection in between people as to how it could happen and so it is a non-local phenomenon (locality means that something can only effect something in direct contact/ immediate proximity with it). However, around seven years ago I noticed that the same responses were also occurring when I watch somebody in a video that was filmed in the past which raised a lot of questions that are discussed in the book I wrote called Change the past in the future - a look into the existence of time by Henry Norsworthy.

Feel free to leave a comment about any experience you have with gaze response. 

6 minutes ago, --everything-- said:

Around nine years ago now I noticed that when I look at somebody or another living being they react to it. The responses can include; a blink, raised eyebrows, a flinch, look up, look in my direction, or just a general change in trajectory. This phenomenon is known as a gaze response, and the most prominent researcher that I have come across studying it is Rupert Sheldrake. It is not understood how it happens as there is no physical medium or connection in between people as to how it could happen and so it is a non-local phenomenon (locality means that something can only effect something in direct contact/ immediate proximity with it). However, around seven years ago I noticed that the same responses were also occurring when I watch somebody in a video that was filmed in the past which raised a lot of questions that are discussed in the book I wrote called Change the past in the future - a look into the existence of time by Henry Norsworthy.

I have noticed the opposite. If another person is unaware of your presence ,they will carry on as if you are not there. Bizarre ,quoi?

Sometimes ,even I think I am alone  only to discover there is someone else in the room . Really odd!

(think the OP is copy and paste - should've guessed;))

Edited by geordief

!

Moderator Note

Rupert Sheldrake is…not mainstream. If you think this is a matter of quantum physics, you will need to provide the connection. Moved to speculations.

Also note that advertising is against our rules; posting to bring awareness of your book is a violation.

1 hour ago, --everything-- said:

I think it's garbage. This is all explained by normal sensory behaviors. We have a really good field of vision, amplified by hearing that helps focus in the right directions. And of course we understand how it happens, it's not some mystical woo magic. Rupert Sheldrake?! Jesus, you don't need him to explain anything about science.

You've heard all this before, though. You've posted this elsewhere and took it down when you got answers you didn't like. Are you arguing for this in good faith?

33 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I think it's garbage. This is all explained by normal sensory behaviors. We have a really good field of vision, amplified by hearing that helps focus in the right directions. And of course we understand how it happens, it's not some mystical woo magic. Rupert Sheldrake?! Jesus, you don't need him to explain anything about science.

You've heard all this before, though. You've posted this elsewhere and took it down when you got answers you didn't like. Are you arguing for this in good faith?

There are studies showing people not looking at someone and guessing when somebody has begun looking at them. This is showing repeatabilty with this and therefore being a real phenomena which is unexplained, and Rupert Sheldrake is the most prominant person I have come across looking into this. And I didnt take it down it gets deleted for some reason.

3 hours ago, --everything-- said:

This is showing repeatabilty with this and therefore being a real phenomena which is unexplained,

It's a real phenomena which is easily explained. We have an array of ways to measure sensory input, and a very intelligent brain that puts lots of data together very quickly. Claiming it's "unexplained" just makes it easier for people like Sheldrake to make claims like this.

You remember the times you turn and someone is looking at you. You don’t recall all the countless many more times you turn and nobody is there, yet that’s the experience in the vast majority of times. 

You have a confirmation bias, not a magical phenomenon

I watch people in public places. It's a long-standing habit. I'm interested in how they dress, what they do with hair and tattoos, how they interact. In the last 60 years, not one single person I was observing reacted in any way.

Oh, it is a real phenomenon.
A 'gaze' or a certain look, can have many realizable effects, or repercussions.
I'm sure you've heard of the 'evil eye', or 'stink eye', or looks that kill, etc.

But seriously.
If that was true, no one would ever get caught picking their nose, or scratching their balls.

17 hours ago, --everything-- said:

Sheldrake's ideas don't seem to have got any traction (outside the New Age woo community, at least) 

Sheldrake's The Sense of Being Stared At explores telepathy, precognition, and the "psychic staring effect." It reported on an experiment Sheldrake conducted where blindfolded subjects guessed whether persons were staring at them or at another target. He reported subjects exhibiting a weak sense of being stared at, but no sense of not being stared at,[87][88] and attributed the results to morphic resonance.[89] He reported a hit rate of 53.1%, describing two subjects as "nearly always right, scoring way above chance levels."[90]

Several independent experimenters were unable to find evidence beyond statistical randomness that people could tell they were being stared at, with some saying that there were design flaws in Sheldrake's experiments,[11][26][91] such as using test sequences with "relatively few long runs and many alternations" instead of truly randomised patterns.[92][93] In 2005, Michael Shermer expressed concern over confirmation bias and experimenter bias in the tests, and concluded that Sheldrake's claim was unfalsifiable.[94]

I think it depends on what one's primed to think, a crypt is spooky bc it contains dead people or a ufo is a certain shape bc of certain film's.

It always amazed me, with all those reality type shows (especially "traitors"), at how confident people are at sensing who's lying, and how often they failed... 

Girl's can see when your staring at their tits...😉

IOW, I have a special ability that humanity doesn't share, to which I say "get over yourself"...🙏

20 hours ago, --everything-- said:

There are studies showing people not looking at someone and guessing when somebody has begun looking at them. This is showing repeatabilty with this and therefore being a real phenomena which is unexplained, 

Then it should be no problem linking to a few of these peer-reviewed studies

Non falsifiable, for sure.  Couples often sense some paranormal connection.  An example of how confirmation bias works there is when I look out the window from a dim room during bright daylight outside (closed window, so I'm sonically and visually isolated from the exterior) and see her in the yard - and she looks my direction as if sensing my fond gaze.  But I also am aware that she is often not looking towards the house...and I quickly forget those incidences as they don't fit the romantic deep-connection narrative.  I've noticed couples tend to do this with unusual stress events, e.g. spouse A gets in a car crash at 4 pm.  Later, spouse B recalls, that's odd, I dropped a coffee mug at that same time and it gave me this ominous feeling.  (never mind that B often drops his mug and gets vague ominous feelings that don't pan out)

We use such narratives to strengthen and maintain our bonds with others.  

On 6/15/2024 at 11:34 AM, --everything-- said:

when I look at somebody or another living being they react to it. The responses can include; a blink

Well if that is not proof I don't now what is. Certainly no one just randomly blinks unless they are being observed.

On 6/15/2024 at 6:34 PM, --everything-- said:

However, around seven years ago I noticed that the same responses were also occurring when I watch somebody in a video that was filmed in the past which raised a lot of questions

With one simple answer: observation bias.

On 6/16/2024 at 4:25 PM, TheVat said:

Non falsifiable, for sure.  Couples often sense some paranormal connection.  An example of how confirmation bias works there is when I look out the window from a dim room during bright daylight outside (closed window, so I'm sonically and visually isolated from the exterior) and see her in the yard - and she looks my direction as if sensing my fond gaze.  But I also am aware that she is often not looking towards the house...and I quickly forget those incidences as they don't fit the romantic deep-connection narrative.  I've noticed couples tend to do this with unusual stress events, e.g. spouse A gets in a car crash at 4 pm.  Later, spouse B recalls, that's odd, I dropped a coffee mug at that same time and it gave me this ominous feeling.  (never mind that B often drops his mug and gets vague ominous feelings that don't pan out)

We use such narratives to strengthen and maintain our bonds with others.  

On a related note,I was (just this past while) sitting in the room with my partner and she was explaining to me about a shop she had visited and mentioned in passing that she was wondering who owned the shop.

On my side my attention had wandered and dreaming had set in so that my attention was split into two parts.

I heard her say "I wonder who owns that shop"  whilst in my dream I was in the car with a passenger who was about to get out of the car and enter the same  shop.

In my half dream/half awake state I began to answer her "I know who owns the shop" (none of us do in reality) but I caught myself on and thought "that makes no sense" and woke up to realize that In had been half awake ,half "adream"

I wonder if that could be related to the kind of connection  you were talking about?

Could we be normally  connected to each other in subconscious ways that weave their ways beneath our conscious connections leaving us surprised from time to time when we seem to be sharing the same thoughts? 

Edited by geordief

20 hours ago, geordief said:

Could we be normally  connected to each other in subconscious ways that weave their ways beneath our conscious connections leaving us surprised from time to time when we seem to be sharing the same thoughts? 

You seem to have described most long-term relationships.  Ohe aspect of this that amuses me is the way my wife will lose something and I can usually find it in a couple minutes.  Or the reverse.  She is too focused on what she wants the missing item for, while I'm just registering some ingrained pattern of activity.  

Perhaps, but we could be recognising a word we heard the day after yesterday, when normal conformed to the words I know and surprise is a word I'll hear tomorrow...

20 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Perhaps, but we could be recognising a word we heard the day after yesterday, when normal conformed to the words I know and surprise is a word I'll hear tomorrow...

Sorry that doesn't make sense to me.

Do I have to read your mind or literary intent or is  that some kind of autocomplete malfunction?

All one sentence?

55 minutes ago, TheVat said:

You seem to have described most long-term relationships.  Ohe aspect of this that amuses me is the way my wife will lose something and I can usually find it in a couple minutes.  Or the reverse.  She is too focused on what she wants the missing item for, while I'm just registering some ingrained pattern of activity.  

I like the interpretation that we are all like bats in the darkness (or daylight) carving out subsection of the surrounding and incoming reality with our "radar apparatus"

When two of these  bats (us) communicate our two beams themselves intersect and our communication takes place   mainly in this shared physical and psychic territory.

It is a "model" that has been on my mind this past week

(A bit like a third person/entity in the relationship-and that model would also  extend to society in general  )

I don't think that is far out or controversial,just that I didn't think of it like that till recently)

5 hours ago, TheVat said:

Another aspect of pattern recognition is body language, and with the help of spatial cues and known behavioural pattern there are a lot of things that spouses can tell what is going on. But just paying attention can make you look like a mind reader, too.

Sorry that doesn't make sense to me.

Do I have to read your mind or literary intent or is  that some kind of autocomplete malfunction?

All one sentence?

Sensing when someone is looking at you without seeing them, is literally mind reading without, even, a clue from text; 'from future past'.

Even hyper-vigilant criminal's can be spied on, without their knowledge.

22 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Sensing when someone is looking at you without seeing them, is literally mind reading without, even, a clue from text; 'from future past'.

Even hyper-vigilant criminal's can be spied on, without their knowledge.

I didn't say we sense someone looking at you . (and you were quoting me).

I said the opposite in the second post of the thread.(perhaps you missed the sarcasm?

Plus your reply didn't make  sense purely as an english expression.

when normal conformed to the words I know (dimreeper 's quote)

What is that supposed to mean ? Is "normal" a noun? Is this a poetry competition?

On 6/20/2024 at 6:42 PM, geordief said:

If that was sarcasm, then yes I missed it; perhaps next time you include an emoji... And you can avoid my poetic nature. 😉