Back to Science(forums). A tale of two Professors and two books.

studiot

Some Professors are noted for the wide understanding of their subject and how it all fits together and combine this with the ability to present an understandable and coherent picture.
This ability picks out important insights.

Firstly the 2022  book 'Elusive' by Frank Close, Professor of theoretical physics at London University offers a remarkably clear account of 'Higgs Theory' and its connection to Quantum Theory, Relativity, and particle physics, in plain English in the body of the text and in Mathematics in the appendices.

Secondly the 2012 book '17 Equations that changed the World', Professor of Applied Maths at Warwick University is equally worth reading, especially the penultimate chapter on the 'Black-Scholes Equation' , which should be read by anyone who thinks they know anything at all about Economics. A real eye opener.

The two books have one mathematical caveat in common. 'Consider the conditions of applicability of this theory, before use!'

I have read '17 Equations That Changed the World', and found it very interesting.
I will have to see if I can source a copy of your other recommendation, 'Elusive', as that sounds even more 'up my alley'.
Thanks Studiot.