HOUSTON, WE HAVE AN ENERGY PROBLEM HERE ON PLANET EARTH.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

That (in red) is not true. The politics of Margaret Thatcher, for example, did not involve such deception.  

Are you sure?

Thatcher said that privatisation was a chance to give "power back to the people". In fact, as Robert Philpot, director of the Progress pressure group, wrote last week: "Now, in 2012, it's clear that the result of electricity privatisation was to take power away from the people.

.....Howe ..... persuaded Thatcher that if they wanted income tax cuts they had to go ahead with the doubling of VAT on the illusory grounds that it would only have a one-off impact on inflation. So the top rate of tax was cut from 66p to 60p and the basic rate reduced from 33p to 30p but at the price of inflation doubling to more than 21% in the first 12 months following that first 1979 budget.

Looks to me like there was some deception involved. Anyway, I should have specified that I meant US, not global, since there are many government and political factions around the world that can be described as right-wing that don't bother with such niceties.

That (in red) is not true. The politics of Margaret Thatcher, for example, did not involve such deception.  

Are you sure?

Thatcher said that privatisation was a chance to give "power back to the people". In fact, as Robert Philpot, director of the Progress pressure group, wrote last week: "Now, in 2012, it's clear that the result of electricity privatisation was to take power away from the people.

.....Howe ..... persuaded Thatcher that if they wanted income tax cuts they had to go ahead with the doubling of VAT on the illusory grounds that it would only have a one-off impact on inflation. So the top rate of tax was cut from 66p to 60p and the basic rate reduced from 33p to 30p but at the price of inflation doubling to more than 21% in the first 12 months following that first 1979 budget.

Looks to me like there was some deception involved. Anyway, I should have specified that I meant US, not global, since there are many government and political factions around the world that can be described as right-wing that don't bother with such niceties.

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

(Hm. Reply box seems to be frozen. Maybe it will submit later. Maybe three or four copies.)

Are you sure?

Looks to me like there was some deception involved. She might not have been able to keep it up for decades - but the damage is still quite palpable. Anyway, I should have specified that I meant US, not global, since there are many government and political factions around the world that can be described as right-wing that don't bother with such niceties.

(Hm. Reply box seems to be frozen. Maybe it will submit later. Maybe three or four copies.)

1 minute ago, Peterkin said:

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Are you sure?

Thatcher warned the country the medicine to sort out the economy would be tough. Her political nickname was TINA: there is no alternative. Her last finance minister (Major ) even used the phrase "if it's not hurting it's not working.  

19 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Thatcher warned the country the medicine to sort out the economy would be tough.

And so those misleading public statements were actually not misleading at all - just part of the painful process of kneecapping the trade unions and selling Britain off to the highest foreign bidders, which the voters clearly understood to be her agenda? Okay....

It was certainly true about the hurt.

There were nearly 3.3 million unemployed in Britain in 1984, compared to 1.5 million when she first came to power in 1979, though that figure had reverted to 1.6 million by the end of 1990. While credited with reviving Britain's economy, Thatcher also was blamed for spurring a doubling of the relative poverty rate.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thatcherism

Edited by Peterkin