Shots fired at Trump rally in Pennsylvania

toucana

Okay. Image of white line circled in red. Bullet? Maybe. Intended to head? Maybe. Missed by a couple of inches? Maybe.

Bottom line: the kid was a bad shot; we don't know why he did it; the felon lives.

5 hours ago, StringJunky said:

We can be grateful it happened now and not near the election. I'm fairly sure other stuff and time itself will make it just another memory. A week is a long time in politics.

Trump will speak of it daily until Nov. 5.  And perhaps after that.  God intervened and saved him so he can save America!  

1 hour ago, Externet said:

Really ?  Does anyone see it ?  Is everyone not seeing it posted ?  Seems Peterkin cannot either.  The 'same medicine' or the 'trajectory' or both images ? 😳

Please someone tell...

I did see it, but probably got removed at source.

25 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Trump will speak of it daily until Nov. 5.  And perhaps after that.  God intervened and saved him so he can save America!  

I'll bet a pound to a penny that most people went "Damn!".

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

John F Kennedy.  "Camelot."  Very much a personality cult.  

Agree with your definition.  It is populism, but stripped of reason and any true devotion to the people on the leader's part.  

That’s interesting. I had always thought the Kennedy “Camelot” simply referred his “courtiers” i.e. just the people around him, socially, politically and in government. I had no idea it was a popular movement. Was it really? 

29 minutes ago, exchemist said:

That’s interesting. I had always thought the Kennedy “Camelot” simply referred his “courtiers” i.e. just the people around him, socially, politically and in government. I had no idea it was a popular movement. Was it really? 

I thought it was more a retroactive legacy thing.

2 hours ago, TheVat said:

Now, now, that is pure speculation, and as such not permitted😉.

2 minutes ago, CharonY said:

I thought it was more a retroactive legacy thing.

Yes, looking it up it seems it was coined by Jaqueline, to refer to his late presidency in terms of Arthurian romantic mythology.

1 hour ago, exchemist said:

I recall there was a cult, a mystique, at that time around JFK.  I was pretty young and so I have some of this secondhand. The Camelot label may have been retroactive, but the worship was real.  Movement might not be quite the term, though.  He was viewed as this golden boy, political prodigy, so much younger than previous presidents, and also Hollywood rallied around him and added to his aura of "star power."   He was buddies with Sinatra, and  Peter Lawford, a member of the  Rat Pack, was his brother in law. And Marilyn Monroe sang at his birthday party.  At that point his charisma required welding goggles to look at.

56 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Now, now, that is pure speculation, and as such not permitted😉.

Haha.  Yes, I forgot we're in Politics where no one ever speculates or offers predictions.  Really don't know what came over me.  

3 hours ago, StringJunky said:

I'll bet a pound to a penny that most people went "Damn!".

Could we think of something to put in God's Ambrosia? Spiked  sultanas?

50 minutes ago, geordief said:

Could we think of something to put in God's Ambrosia? Spiked  sultanas?

i very much doubt - what with all the nonsense involving bibles - that God is interested. If you want action, approach the other guy.

12 hours ago, exchemist said:

Aren't you aware of the medieval Kennedy (Cennetig) royal Irish heritage?

18 minutes ago, LaurieAG said:

Aren't you aware of the medieval Kennedy (Cennetig) royal Irish heritage?

Is this a bid for the Write4U Memorial Prize for irrelevance?😆

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2024 at 3:37 AM, exchemist said:

But whether it has worked before is not the sole criterion for assessing its likely effect this time. So far as I am aware the United States has never before been in the grip of a presidential personality cult like Trump. A personality cult works on emotion and the inculcation of a tribal sense of loyalty. One does not have to be a genius to see how those can be turned to advantage by an incident like this.  

I could be wrong, but I think his popularity on social media has played a role in the "cult-like" aspects of his following, particularly on the toxic parts of social media which seem uninformed or even apathetic to the actual issues, and merely infatuated with his personality for some reason or another.

It sounds like the shooters personality profile aligned more with a mass shooter than a political extremist or assassin.  He wanted attention and to have his life taken in grand style more than he was targeting Trump specifically. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/28/us/politics/thomas-crooks-trump-fbi.html

Would-Be Trump Assassin’s Interest in Violence Went Back to 2019

F.B.I. officials said the profile that has emerged of Thomas Crooks, based on an analysis of his electronics, resembles that of a mass shooter more than a politically motivated assassin.

Edited by iNow

2 hours ago, iNow said:

It sounds like the shooters personality profile aligned more with a mass shooter than a political extremist or assassin.  He wanted attention and to have his life taken in grand style more than he was targeting Trump specifically. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/28/us/politics/thomas-crooks-trump-fbi.html

Analysis of his electronics? Marvin, the Paranoid Android? What do they mean?