What if he hadn't missed?

dimreepr

13 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Assuming Trump survived, attendees at the RNC would all show up with holes in their heads…

The same holes they have or an extra one to show fealty?

4 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Would that have made the GOP temporarily indestructible with Don jnr thrust under the crown?

Why would it? 

Don jr. isn’t on the ballot, and devotion does not necessarily transfer in this manner.

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Would that have made the GOP temporarily indestructible with Don jnr thrust under the crown?

No. The boys are not taken seriously by anybody. DeSantis, maybe (ugh!) or Pence... should he like a second chance to be lynched.

21 hours ago, swansont said:

Why would it? 

Don jr. isn’t on the ballot, and devotion does not necessarily transfer in this manner.

Indeed, but Don jr. is just a metaphor for who the king maker deems worthy of the crown, and devotion in this manner does seem to transfer rather easily, like someone greased the rail's... 

41 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

Indeed, but Don jr. is just a metaphor for who the king maker deems worthy of the crown, and devotion in this manner does seem to transfer rather easily, like someone greased the rail's... 

Not yet. We're still in populist mode, where the loudest screamer is followed by adoring mobs. Trump, if he attained the office, would tear up the constitution and declare himself president for life, then, if he lived long enough, would certainly attempt to make himself god-emperor. He would appoint several successors, firing each when they complained of getting stiffed on their paycheck, so he would be replaced by whichever henchman spiked his diet coke or stood on his oxygen tube. It's unlikely to be one of the older sons. To establish a succession by blood takes several generations of firm grasp on the throne. That's unlikely to be the Trump dynasty. 

Edited by Peterkin

3 hours ago, dimreepr said:

I’m not seeing it. I can’t think of any examples, but since this happens so easily, surely there are some you could give.

19 hours ago, swansont said:

I’m not seeing it. I can’t think of any examples, but since this happens so easily, surely there are some you could give.

TBH when I posted this topic, I was hoping to get stuck into a page or two of conjecture, as to the aftermath, if he'd chosen to present himself in profile at the moment of impact; not still discussing my Ill informed effort's.

On 7/18/2024 at 10:32 AM, Peterkin said:

Not yet. We're still in populist mode, where the loudest screamer is followed by adoring mobs. Trump, if he attained the office, would tear up the constitution and declare himself president for life, then, if he lived long enough, would certainly attempt to make himself god-emperor. He would appoint several successors, firing each when they complained of getting stiffed on their paycheck, so he would be replaced by whichever henchman spiked his diet coke or stood on his oxygen tube. It's unlikely to be one of the older sons. To establish a succession by blood takes several generations of firm grasp on the throne. That's unlikely to be the Trump dynasty. 

Exactly and Trump is no Vespasian, by a long way. 

1 hour ago, MSC said:

Exactly and Trump is no Vespasian, by a long way. 

He is today, and the god-emperor tends to grow into the role; first, since he's still alive 🙄, he changes the law to allow him at least a fifth term and he's only allowed to be seen via the internet. 

1 hour ago, dimreepr said:

the god-emperor tends to grow into the role

I know of no examples. In fact, they seem to degenerate with too much power. They're not killed by random discontents in the crowd; they're killed by family, trusted advisors or bodyguards.

he changes the law to allow him at least a fifth term

The plans are already in place to wipe out at least half of the amendments. Chairman for life is a given. (How long he lives depends on how eager Satan is to collect on the deal.)

he's only allowed to be seen via the internet. 

Not Trump. Without rallies, he would simply fade away and disappear.

21 minutes ago, Peterkin said:

Not Trump. Without rallies, he would simply fade away and disappear.

I think you’ll find AI deepfakes of him will continue motivating the worst parts of us for many more years to come well after his passing IRL

47 minutes ago, iNow said:

I think you’ll find AI deepfakes of him will continue motivating the worst parts of us for many more years to come well after his passing IRL

I don't know if that specter is more or less frightening than the missiles Putin keeps rattling.

I know Hitler's cult continues long past his ignominious passing, but he'd almost wiped out his own and several other nations by then. Trump has accomplished exactly goose-egg, beyond wasting a lot of courts' time and selling a lot of junk.

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

He is today, and the god-emperor tends to grow into the role; first, since he's still alive 🙄, he changes the law to allow him at least a fifth term and he's only allowed to be seen via the internet. 

The reason I used the Vespasian comparison wasn't to do with being emperor, but with the fact that the Flavian dynasty of the Roman empire was the first passing of the emperor role from father to biological son and then to second son. (Well that didn't last long.) But anyway by that point Romans had lived under a number or emperors since Augustus so at the time, that was stability from their perspective. Father to son. It doesn't compare to now. 

I do get the sentiment behind the "god-emperor" phrasing you're going with, in the sense that the USA in general is more powerful in terms of people, resources and technology, under democracy. Give all that power to a king or an emperor and it will be unlike anything people have seen, even from histories worst tyrants up until the 20th century. 

Honestly though, I just don't see that happening. There would be a massive civil war and if Trump were king or emperor for a year, Putin would be king after. A civil war in the USA would be a perfect time for Russia or China to make moves. 

19 hours ago, MSC said:

I do get the sentiment behind the "god-emperor" phrasing you're going with, in the sense that the USA in general is more powerful in terms of people, resources and technology, under democracy. Give all that power to a king or an emperor and it will be unlike anything people have seen, even from histories worst tyrants up until the 20th century. 

My use of the phrase was from "god emperor of dune", my point was, we all accept a tyrant, at some level; but the paradox is, the worste ones make most of us happy, at some level...