Biden Diagnosed with Covid

MSC

• President Joe Biden tested positive for Covid-19, the White House said.
  • The president, who was delivering speeches in Las Vegas, "is experiencing mild symptoms," White House press secretary Karine Jean-Pierre said in a statement.
  • Biden "will be returning to Delaware where he will self-isolate and will continue to carry out all of his duties fully during that time," she said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/17/president-biden-tests-positive-for-covid-unidosus-leader-says.html

So this is now happening. Anyone else feel like 2024 is actively trying to be bigger and badder than 2020?

A lot of people are pretending that the pandemic is over (or never happened) but it’s still out there.

I hope they get strict about masking in the White House.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

A lot of people are pretending that the pandemic is over (or never happened) but it’s still out there.

I hope they get strict about masking in the White House.

I have a theatre nurse neighbour, and I asked her the other day if covid protocols were still being followed in our city hospital, she said 'no'. I think the approach is just to mostly let it take its course in the population.

I'm curious as to whether or not the democrats may use Biden coming down with covid as a kind of fitness test or if this will cause people to doubt his physical fitness for the role more whether he makes a quick recovery or not.

I asked my doctor, and they stopped masking at the clinic, except people who have symptoms of some kind. Not because they're pretending, but because the vaccination program has been pretty successful and our county had no new cases for months.

Some places and situations are more likely to expose one to infection. I Imagine that campaign trail has to be one of those situations. Large crowds in enclosed spaces - all it takes is one unwitting carrier.

Poor old Biden didn't need the illness, and I hope he gets off lightly.

But it does make a plausible cover for withdrawing from the race.

29 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I have a theatre nurse neighbour, and I asked her the other day if covid protocols were still being followed in our city hospital, she said 'no'. I think the approach is just to mostly let it take its course in the population.

I was at a healthcare facility recently and nobody was masking. 

25 minutes ago, swansont said:

I was at a healthcare facility recently and nobody was masking. 

Right. Same there then? Given his age, masking in his presence indoors is probably  wise.

3 hours ago, Peterkin said:

Not because they're pretending, but because the vaccination program has been pretty successful and our county had no new cases for months.

What country is yours?

4 hours ago, Peterkin said:

I asked my doctor, and they stopped masking at the clinic, except people who have symptoms of some kind. Not because they're pretending, but because the vaccination program has been pretty successful and our county had no new cases for months.

Depending on where you are and how they do surveillance, it is possible that COVID cases are not reported or monitored anymore. The CDC is still doing wastewater analysis and some is also done in Canada on the federal level, but it is being dialled back. There has been a bit of a summer surge in quite a few parts in North America, for example.

While hospitals are not filling up that much anymore (which is great) reduction of surveillance does not bode well for future preparedness.

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

What country is yours?

When you click on a members name, much is revealed.  They live in a land called On Terry Eau.

9 hours ago, zapatos said:

What country is yours?

Canada has generally handled it better federally, though some provinces, like some states, did better than others. Ontario wasn't the best, but Grey and Bruce counties are mostly rural, were mostly compliant with prevention protocols and the local health services carried out the vaccination program efficiently.

Nevertheless, I have to take back my previous remark: I've since learned of three active cases, in towns quite far from me. If there are any more, I'll resume wearing masks. The next booster is expected in early fall.  

PS The GB health service is monitoring outbreaks of any contagious disease and reporting locations on their web site. They also post regular announcements of new vaccines available. We usually get them at the pharmacy, which is conveniently on our route. The first two mass inoculations were held in a sports arena and so well organized, there was hardly any waiting time.   

Not that this has anything to do with President Biden.....

Edited by Peterkin