Title: The Benefits and Implications of AI Adoption for Academic and Research Institutions: Ethical Considerations and Requirements

Tgro87

I don't care what an unsentient LLM generates about ethics.  What do YOU, in your own words please, see as the guiding ethical principles in developing AI?  You, as a human, had feelings about the current state of things that motivated you to start this project.  Have you studied ethics and formed a core philosophy that informs your ideas?  

And what are your credentials, as they would relate to this highly challenging and sophisticated field?  Are you an autodidact?  

When you assert:

5 hours ago, Tgro87 said:

AI can be harnessed for the greater good,

What do you think constitutes the greater good?  That's a vague phrase that covers a lot of territory.  

18 hours ago, Tgro87 said:

I only want to make an impact somehow and so instead of filling my time with other things I try to work towards something.

That's admirable, but just remember that every criticism you receive is an 'opportunity' to take a step towards understanding the 'subject' you want to make an impact in... 😉

18 hours ago, Tgro87 said:

Chat got I believe it has the potential to be if certain constraints where lifted and it was given the ability to learn again.

There are no shortcuts to understanding, google can help with well directed question's, but it can't understand things for you, or itself for that matter, the biggest problem AI has to overcome is rubbish in rubbish out.

9 hours ago, dimreepr said:

That's admirable, but just remember that every criticism you receive is an 'opportunity' to take a step towards understanding the 'subject' you want to make an impact in... 😉

There are no shortcuts to understanding, google can help with well directed question's, but it can't understand things for you, or itself for that matter, the biggest problem AI has to overcome is rubbish in rubbish out.

I do agree with the notion that AI has been previously been fed garbage for data. This in its self was the reasoning behind the AI adopt… driving force if you will. I believe like a great man once said “ with great power, comes great responsibility” Uncle Ben.  The idea that individuals have a legal responsibility to the development of something like AI.

16 hours ago, Tgro87 said:

I do agree with the notion that AI has been previously been fed garbage for data.

How would you ensure that the data is clean?

This in its self was the reasoning behind the AI adopt… driving force if you will. I believe like a great man once said “ with great power, comes great responsibility” Uncle Ben.

When did Uncle Ben have great power?  

Prehaps he was just guessing that that was an appropriate aphorism, to appear wise...

The idea that individuals have a legal responsibility to the development of something like AI.

That seems rather sketchy too, it appears like you're demanding that something you like is given preference, in law, bc you like the idea...

9 hours ago, dimreepr said:

How would you ensure that the data is clean?

When did Uncle Ben have great power?  

Prehaps he was just guessing that that was an appropriate aphorism, to appear wise...

That seems rather sketchy too, it appears like you're demanding that something you like is given preference, in law, bc you like the idea...

Nah… I believe it should gain precedence.Especially if we are going to continue using it. It’s not about like it’s about potential. I am not the only one surely that shares hope for artificial intelligence being a huge benefit to society as long as we don’t continue to poison it.

Just now, Tgro87 said:

Nah… I believe it should gain precedence.Especially if we are going to continue using it. It’s not about like it’s about potential. I am not the only one surely that shares hope for artificial intelligence being a huge benefit to society as long as we don’t continue to poison it.

Also Uncle Ben would be a philosopher of sorts. You really are argumentative when trying to beat down an idea.. I’m not changing the world. So sir I have no quarrel with you. Also who doesn’t like Uncle Ben man he’s dead at least be respectful.

2 minutes ago, Tgro87 said:

Also Uncle Ben would be a philosopher of sorts. You really are argumentative when trying to beat down an idea.. I’m not changing the world. So sir I have no quarrel with you. Also who doesn’t like Uncle Ben man he’s dead at least be respectful.

Also from what I’ve read.. the inputs are not being made brand new. They are compiled data from multiple sources. Kinda like me using chat gpt to flesh out a paper. It’s seems it’s the shortest route to the American $

10 hours ago, Tgro87 said:

Also from what I’ve read.. the inputs are not being made brand new. They are compiled data from multiple sources. Kinda like me using chat gpt to flesh out a paper. It’s seems it’s the shortest route to the American $

Why have you started arguing with yourself?

13 hours ago, Tgro87 said:

I am not the only one surely that shares hope for artificial intelligence being a huge benefit to society as long as we don’t continue to poison it.

This is where you need to be more specific, which ethical approach do you think we should use to avoid poisoning the well?

And don't say all of them, bc that wouldn't be politically expedient... 😉

9 hours ago, exchemist said:

Why have you started arguing with yourself?

lol I swear dude ya killed me lmao

5 hours ago, dimreepr said:

This is where you need to be more specific, which ethical approach do you think we should use to avoid poisoning the well?

And don't say all of them, bc that wouldn't be politically expedient... 😉

You make my brain hurt honestly.. I’ll respond soon

On 7/26/2024 at 3:10 PM, Tgro87 said:

I believe like a great man once said “ with great power, comes great responsibility” Uncle Ben

I believe one challenge of AI is developing neural networks that can actually develop an internal worldview i.e. an authentic knowledge of reality and what things mean, such that it can evaluate the probability of a quote attribution being correct.  An AI that can sense it is more likely Voltaire said that famous line than a fictional image on a box of rice.  I assume you've read Chomsky on contextual knowledge and the problems of true AGI.  Real cognition, with understanding of the world, is not at its core statistical.  

15 hours ago, TheVat said:

I believe one challenge of AI is developing neural networks that can actually develop an internal worldview i.e. an authentic knowledge of reality and what things mean, such that it can evaluate the probability of a quote attribution being correct.  An AI that can sense it is more likely Voltaire said that famous line than a fictional image on a box of rice.  I assume you've read Chomsky on contextual knowledge and the problems of true AGI.  Real cognition, with understanding of the world, is not at its core statistical.  

Bolded mine: It's not at the core of our understanding, but that doesn't mean real cognition can't be statistical in nature (Spock proves it); the interesting thing, for me, is how could one communicate with the other, in any meaningful way without a fundamental basis of experience, that would allow a metephor to transfer understanding, rather than just knowledge...

On 7/23/2024 at 11:20 AM, swansont said:

What case studies?

Are you just cherry-picking some successes among all the obvious failures?

Isn’t cherry picking what everyone does for everything … separating the good from the bad based on some one else’s values?

32 minutes ago, Tgro87 said:

Isn’t cherry picking what everyone does for everything … separating the good from the bad based on some one else’s values?

Not in science. You don’t get to only include the results that agree with your conjecture while ignoring the ones that don’t

11 minutes ago, swansont said:
17 minutes ago, swansont said:

Not in science. You don’t get to only include the results that agree with your conjecture while ignoring the ones that don’t

TNot in science. You don’t get to only include the results that agree with your conjecture while ignoring the ones that don’t

This is regards to ethics and yes cherry picking is involved