Regarding a chemical

flyingpoker

Originally posted by Kedas

Do you mean 2*H2O --> 2*H2 + O2

OR the solution of water with O2

ermz.. i am just a secondary student. i do not know much..it is a chemical to remove oxygen from water when you are about to rust iron.. you set-up an experiment..one with oxygen and water another with water(without oxygen) so my teacher was asking what is the chemical to sort of take up or remove oxygen from the water..Thanks Kedas

A possibly simpler way is to simply boil the water you're using (I assume its in a lab so you'll be using distilled water to begin with) then put some sort of oil on the top of the water to keep it oxygen free.

You dont need much oil, half a centimetre (in a normal test tube) should do. If its the experiment Im thinking of youll also do some experiments where you put a nail in a test tube with some drying agent, a nail in ordinary water open to the atmosphere and a nail wrapped in zinc or copper to demonstate oxidation/reduction.

I understand that all of you are trying to help.. I just need to know the chemical needed to remove/absorb oxygen from water.. Not any type of experiment or solutions.. Oxygen Scavanger is not the one ^_^.. Hope when i come back from school i will get some name of chemicals.. Thx everyone for your help =D

Originally posted by Sayonara³

"The One"?

Are you looking for an oxygen-removing chemical or a messiah?

LOL

Maybe there is a more simple not so effective way.

Not really removing the O2 but making it harder for the O2 to stay by adding an other substance.

If you make a strong salt (NaCl) water solution the amount of oxygen that can be absorbed should be less.

not sure though nor do I know the best temp to do this. (just a thought)

Boiling is probably more effective though. (maybe a combination)

"The One"?

Are you looking for an oxygen-removing chemical or a messiah?

The chemicals required for the oxygen scavenging process on that webpage are all listed on the same page.

Btw, what is a messiah.. Let me give you guys a clue which my teacher gave me..Stupid though.. the chemical has letters "L" "P" "O"

a chemical to remove the oxygen from hydrogen?O_o something that would bond with the hydrogen atoms to get them away from oxygen? probably not....

maybe it's something that bonds with oxygen and prevents the returning of it;)..or something...what?O_o

if the teacher is expecting a specific answer...please point them in here so they might be educated:-p it's stupid to ask that unless you're going to give a few more clues than "it has these letters in it"

*dons fancy squirrel costume*

If I understand correctly he wants to remove the dissolved oxygen to create a control solution for a rusting experiment.

Yes..You are right..lol..i had time explaining this..Guys have me solve it due to the above problem..Thanks