The Moon Earths little sister

18 minutes ago, studiot said:

What you have said is pointless.

If you want help say so and cooperate with others.

Otherwise please stop wasting their time.

I have had discussions with others but you just dirty the water.

If you don't like what I say then go away and leave me to communicate with others.

I know you would get much joy from having me kicked off the forum but I can't do anything about that.

I have reframed from being angry and retaliating so you are trying to find other ways to get rid of me.

I can see through you and others can as well.

It's not really known how the Moon got to be such an obnoxious little sister. She just showed up one day with a bunch of circular arguments, orbiting near the point of arrogance, and when called out for it, spent the next several eons acting like the victim. She never really seemed to want anything other than to push against the orbit, which is crazy since this is safe space for her if she'd just mellow out and pay attention instead of trying to make waves here on Earth.

3 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

It's not really known how the Moon got to be such an obnoxious little sister. She just showed up one day with a bunch of circular arguments, orbiting near the point of arrogance, and when called out for it, spent the next several eons acting like the victim. She never really seemed to want anything other than to push against the orbit, which is crazy since this is safe space for her if she'd just mellow out and pay attention instead of trying to make waves here on Earth.

So you are a poet, that helps. I tap dance we should get together.

7 hours ago, John John said:

It was just an example of energy, velocity over mass. I was making a point regarding the way Theia would behave in different situations.

Having all of the Moon data isn't going to help.

But the numbers were unrealistic, and you never used them anyway, except to attempt an invalid force relation.  Using real numbers gives some plausibility to the scenario.  Using exact numbers is probably not useful.  To illustrate:

19 hours ago, John John said:

Let's say the Moon is 200 billion tonnes, If Theia was 300 billion tonnes with a velocity of 10,000 km/h it would have the same force as Theia being 600 billion tonnes with a velocity of 7,500 km/h.

Theia was (supposedly)  10 times the lunar mass, not 1.5 times.  The extra mass either escaped (high speed object, mild glancing hit), in which case where did it go?  or it hit more directly and was completely absorbed except for the ejecta that managed to coalesce in orbit.

Anything not already in orbit has to be moving at a minimum of around 40000 km/hr relative to Earth, so that's a lower bound to any impact from an external object.

Mass and speed do not determine force, and force is not directly relevant to the scenario.  Force is different everywhere, and is not one value.  Fluid dynamics must be invoked.

Yes, it was an off-center hit.  A straight on shot would have resulted in ejecta with minimum net angular momentum, and thus no moon that requires it.  The offset hit would have significantly altered the spin of both bodies, resulting in an Earth will say a 10 hour (or less) day.  How long did it take for the moon to get tide locked?  Does the simulation answer that sort of thing?  Certainly not until any second moon merged into just the one.

You don't seem to contribute after this.  All your recent posts seem focused on personal attacks against those trying to help.  I suppose I will also be the eventual target of that.

Edited by Halc

9 minutes ago, Halc said:

But the numbers were unrealistic, and you never used them anyway, except to attempt an invalid force relation.  Using real numbers gives some plausibility to the scenario.  Using exact numbers is probably not useful.  To illustrate:

Theia was (supposedly)  10 times the lunar mass, not 1.5 times.  The extra mass either escaped (high speed object, mild glancing hit), in which case where did it go?  or it hit more directly and was completely absorbed except for the ejecta that managed to coalesce in orbit.

Anything not already in orbit has to be moving at a minimum of around 40000 km/hr relative to Earth, so that's a lower bound to any impact from an external object.

Mass and speed do not determine force, and force is not directly relevant to the scenario.  Force is different everywhere, and is not one value.  Fluid dynamics must be invoked.

Yes, it was an off-center hit.  A straight on shot would have resulted in ejecta with minimum net angular momentum, and thus no moon that requires it.  The offset hit would have significantly altered the spin of both bodies, resulting in an Earth will say a 10 hour (or less) day.  How long did it take for the moon to get tide locked?  Does the simulation answer that sort of thing?  Certainly not until any second moon merged into just the one.

You don't seem to contribute after this.  All your recent posts seem focused on personal attacks against those trying to help.  I suppose I will also be the eventual target of that.

I don't see where you are going. The post was about the Moon and how it came to be I haven't disputed anyone's point on that or attacked them as you like to put it.

Keep trying you're doing well.