Thumbs down is pettie

11 hours ago, iNow said:

The site used to prevent them in a former software version, but may no longer have that option to disable in the current version. I seem to recall members voted to keep them, however, as a quick easy way to highlight problematic folks regularly posting in bad faith. 

Unfortunately, we keep running into the problem of new members not understanding how we like discussions to be civil. We see the negative point as shushing someone being too loud at the library, but too often they respond by yelling "Don't shush me!", which gets them more negative points, which leads them to start a thread about how petty it is to insist that people be quiet at the library.

33 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Unfortunately, we keep running into the problem of new members not understanding how we like discussions to be civil. We see the negative point as shushing someone being too loud at the library, but too often they respond by yelling "Don't shush me!", which gets them more negative points, which leads them to start a thread about how petty it is to insist that people be quiet at the library.

Would that be an indication that most people are active on other  kinds of  sites where different expectations of civility (and levels of moderation)  apply?

So ,when they first post here they  forget to wipe their feet on the mat..

Unless science forums naturally attract people who want to "show up the experts"

19 minutes ago, geordief said:

So ,when they first post here they  forget to wipe their feet on the mat..

Perhaps Phi is referring to a more disruptive behaviour. Something that really interferes with the flow of the discussion. Not, eg, just not saying 'hello' properly or paying your respects, or other pleasantries. Well at least those are the only red points I myself have come to think are appropriate.

42 minutes ago, geordief said:

Unless science forums naturally attract people who want to "show up the experts"

Fairly common on forums particularly those that allow Speculation. You see the same thing of FB as well. 

1 hour ago, Phi for All said:

You may be suprised to learn that in the UK the modern idiom is to allow, nay encourage children to run around chattering and shouting in a (public) library. They even provide toys etc for this purpose.

How to bring up kids who have no idea how to behave in public ?

On 8/20/2024 at 10:30 AM, J.C.MacSwell said:

I've never been too keen on the neg reps, especially for newcomers that have no way of knowing how the rules are going to be interpreted (if they even read them...(put up your hand if not a mod and have read them all...a quick scan notwithstanding)

Some grandmothers are fine with F-bombs, while others, not just grandmothers, might be offended by the language in your second paragraph, and be a little surprised it's actually a +1. 

Should they not be welcome here while they adjust? The mods can weed out the bad ones without our help...beyond reporting of some of the worst posts.

Just my $0.02

Thank you, a gentleman at last. I was told my post was worthless and I was accused of saying things in my post that were never said that's why I started to bite back. I was called a troll before I got offenseive as well. Thank you for your honest support. I will try to keep my hat on from now on and turn the other cheek.

On 8/19/2024 at 3:41 AM, joigus said:

I like this analogy. Anyway, the pathogen seems to be enjoying some time off for the time being.

Have you ever heard, don't throw stones if you live in a glass house?

On 8/20/2024 at 12:28 PM, MigL said:

Some of us ( I think Eise has expressed the same sentiment ) don't hand out neg rep points, but we are fine handing out positive ones.
If I don't like a particular post I prefer explaining why, if I'm even interested in the subject matter.

In this case John John was acting like a petulant child, who, when told he was wrong, stomped his feet, cried, and insisted he was right.
That is not a discussion, and INow called him out on it.
Hopefully he will have calmed down and be ready for civil discourse when he's welcomed back.

Yes indeed, I have calmed down now but I was provoked by others, Told my post was worthless, and accused of saying things in my post that were never said. Anyway, all is well My problem is that I am accustomed to Nuckels, not the white glove. Some people sing, and I tap dance.

1 hour ago, Mordred said:

It's all good if you keep posting in a decent manner such as you did on your return here.

https://www.scienceforums.net/topic/134508-the-moon-earths-little-sister/

Then any neg rep points will quickly disappear.

Thanks, I shall restrain my negative side and move forward receiving any criticism with a humble and noble attitude.