Theory of Everything (split)

John John

1 minute ago, CharonY said:

not helping.

There is no theory of everything because everything is the course and the course is still creating. We will never know until the end product is complete.

5 minutes ago, John John said:

There is no theory of everything because everything is the course and the course is still creating. We will never know until the end product is complete.

Eg. I need a theory of how a person got from A to B, the theory will never be correct if the person never arrived at B.

A theory is a framework incorporating principles that explain something. A successful theory will be able to make testable predictions, even if the prediction has not happened yet or is still happening. Based on your description, our knowledge is limited by observed events and there is not way to develop from there. This would severely limit our ability to even explain simple systems.

In a way, this is the opposite end of claiming to have a theory of everything, which is equally unhelpful.

22 minutes ago, CharonY said:

A theory is a framework incorporating principles that explain something. A successful theory will be able to make testable predictions, even if the prediction has not happened yet or is still happening. Based on your description, our knowledge is limited by observed events and there is not way to develop from there. This would severely limit our ability to even explain simple systems.

In a way, this is the opposite end of claiming to have a theory of everything, which is equally unhelpful.

True we can have a theory even if it is still developing but the theory will always be a theory if the outcome is never realized and we will never understand all things so the theory will always remain unknown to be true.

3 hours ago, John John said:

True we can have a theory even if it is still developing but the theory will always be a theory if the outcome is never realized and we will never understand all things so the theory will always remain unknown to be true.

I think you misunderstand what a theory is.

31 minutes ago, CharonY said:

Drunken scribbles on the back of a napkin at 2am in the pub, right?

Or was it on toilet paper with fat crayons?

I’m sometimes confused by the canvas of the crackpot. 

37 minutes ago, CharonY said:

A theory is a proscribed possibility but that doesn't mean it's true and never will.

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

Drunken scribbles on the back of a napkin at 2am in the pub, right?

Or was it on toilet paper with fat crayons?

I’m sometimes confused by the canvas of the crackpot. 

If we have 10 theories on a subject and one turns out to be correct then the other 9 may as well be on toilet paper.

6 minutes ago, John John said:

A theory is a proscribed possibility

It seems you have only further confirmed the validity of CharonY’s point, but we’re now getting dragged farther away from the actual topic of the thread (which one might go so far as to presume is your intended purpose). 

2 minutes ago, iNow said:

It seems you have only further confirmed the validity of CharonY’s point, but we’re now getting dragged farther away from the actual topic of the thread (which one might go so far as to presume is your intended purpose). 

I really don't understand your point but if I haven't explained it to your liking I must apologise.

6 minutes ago, John John said:

I really don't understand

In everyday use, the word "theory" often means an untested hunch, or a guess without supporting evidence. But for scientists, a theory has nearly the opposite meaning. A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can incorporate laws, hypotheses and facts.

Theories are concise, coherent, and predictive, and they can apply to a wide range of phenomena. They can also integrate and generalize many hypotheses. To be accepted by the scientific community, a theory must be supported by many different lines of evidence.

5 hours ago, John John said:

The Theory of Everything in my mind is the formation of all matter and all energy whenever that took place.

This doesn’t just miss the mark, it’s not even wrong. 

16 minutes ago, iNow said:

In everyday use, the word "theory" often means an untested hunch, or a guess without supporting evidence. But for scientists, a theory has nearly the opposite meaning. A theory is a well-substantiated explanation of an aspect of the natural world that can incorporate laws, hypotheses and facts.

Theories are concise, coherent, and predictive, and they can apply to a wide range of phenomena. They can also integrate and generalize many hypotheses. To be accepted by the scientific community, a theory must be supported by many different lines of evidence.

This doesn’t just miss the mark, it’s not even wrong. 

The theory of everything must contain all matter and energy The universe is connected by force and it is contained in all things.

Any theory can be proven wrong at any time when an undeniable fact moves in and destroys it.

1 hour ago, John John said:

The universe is connected by force and it is contained in all things.

The universe is not contained in all things. All things are contained in the universe.

1 hour ago, John John said:

Any theory can be proven wrong at any time when an undeniable fact moves in and destroys it.

Nobody has suggested otherwise. I’d ask you what your point is, but TBH I don’t really care 

13 minutes ago, iNow said:

Nobody has suggested otherwise. I’d ask you what your point is, but TBH I don’t really care 

I'm glad then.

19 minutes ago, zapatos said:

The universe is not contained in all things. All things are contained in the universe.

The gravity, the electrons, and the matter are everywhere, that is the force I am referring to.

Everything in the universe is vibrating particles the universe contains us and we contain the universe.

Everything is one and the same it just looks different and acts different.

10 hours ago, John John said:

and we contain the universe.

Can you explain how this helps describe what we observe? It just seems specious and doesn't make understanding the science any easier. The universe is all there is, so nothing inside of it could "contain" it.

2 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Can you explain how this helps describe what we observe? It just seems specious and doesn't make understanding the science any easier. The universe is all there is, so nothing inside of it could "contain" it.

As I stated before all things are vibrating particles, so all things are one and the same at the smallest level.

We are in the universe and all things are a part of us as we are a part of them.

It is like water in a bucket each part of the water is the water, We are a part of the universe so we are the universe, and the universe is us and all things.

The universe contains itself as one unit.

22 minutes ago, John John said:

As I stated before all things are vibrating particles, so all things are one and the same at the smallest level.

We are in the universe and all things are a part of us as we are a part of them.

It is like water in a bucket each part of the water is the water, We are a part of the universe so we are the universe, and the universe is us and all things.

The universe contains itself as one unit.

This is a science site, not a nonsense site.

12 minutes ago, joigus said:

You need the mathematical counterpart to your... erm... theory. A fitting name for it would be "calculus of platitudes".

If I am not explaining this well enough then you could ask a question so I can pull it together for you.