New studies on the brains of flys with an interesting animation

studiot

• studiot changed the title to New studies on the brains of flys with an interesting animation
1 hour ago, Luc Turpin said:

We still do not know how 130,000 cells and 50 million connections enable a fly to interact with each other and the world around it.

Also, brains do not function like computers.

No one is claiming we do. Mapping the connections is the first step in learning how it works. That's all. 

3 hours ago, Luc Turpin said:

Also, brains do not function like computers.

It's not the small number of cells involved, but the 50 Million connections.
Our best supercomputers are currently massively paralleled simple compute engines.
The difficult part is the programming that executes on these simple computers for one or many processes to take advantage of the massive parallelism efficiently.
Nature and evolution have been 'working' on the brain of insects like the fly, for about 480 Million years.
It won't happen anytime soon, but give our guys a little time to figure out true AI.

2 hours ago, exchemist said:

No one is claiming we do. Mapping the connections is the first step in learning how it works. That's all. 

I understand that the "learning system" is made up of pairs of neurons.

Do these  neurons need to be located in proximity to each other  or ste there pairs with "ends" at the opposite  side of the brain?

I wonder is the next step to digitise this representation and to stimulate it  with diffferent inputs.

I remember that film where Jeff Goldblum turns into a fly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_(1986_film)

34 minutes ago, geordief said:

I understand that the "learning system" is made up of pairs of neurons.

Do these  neurons need to be located in proximity to each other  or ste there pairs with "ends" at the opposite  side of the brain?

I wonder is the next step to digitise this representation and to stimulate it  with diffferent inputs.

I remember that film where Jeff Goldblum turns into a fly

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fly_(1986_film)

Haha I was just thinking about that film.

But I haven’t looked into how these connections function in the brain. It’s a long way from my stamping ground.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.