What is the least number of smaller circles that can be fitted inside a mother circle under certain conditions?

Munim

PROBLEM STATEMENT:

What is the least number of smaller circles that can be fitted inside a mother circle under the following conditions:

1.       The smaller circles cannot intersect or be contained inside any other circle besides the mother circle.

2.     The areas of the smaller circles must be N (N<1) times any existing circle inside the mother circle.

3.       The system must contain the maximum number of circles of the same area as possible.

Spoiler
Spoiler

problem circle.png

MUNIM'S PROBLEM.docx

Can you solve it for line segments instead of circles? I.e.,

What is the least number of smaller segments that can be fitted inside a mother segment under the following conditions:

1. The smaller segments cannot intersect or be contained inside any other segment besides the mother segment.

2. The lengths of the smaller segments must be N (N<1) times any existing segment inside the mother segment.

3. The system must contain the maximum number of segments of the same length as possible.

PROBLEM STATEMENT:

What is the least number of circles Ci that can be fitted inside a circle CM under the following conditions i.e. solve for the least value of n for a certain (L, i):

1. The circles Ci cannot share a common area.

2. The areas of the circles Ci must be Ai=Li*AM (where, L<1 & i=1,2,3,...n; AM=area of circle CM).

3. The system must contain the maximum number of circles Ci of the same area as possible.

A representation of the problem is attached to the post.

NB: It's an alternate statement to my previous post

problem circle.png

Where did this problem come from please ?

Is it coursework ?

Also you should not post duplicate threads, even if you second picture is prettier than the first.

It is a form of generalised Malfatti Problem in computational geometry, with the outer boundary being a circle not a triangle.

Is the problem stated correctly, or am I fairly obtuse today.

I see contradictory requirements, such as
"the least number of smaller circles that can be fitted inside a mother circle"
and
"must contain the maximum number of circles of the same area"

If not for the second requirement ( above ) the answer would be trivially simple.
One circle with the radius approaching the limit of the mother circle.

What am I missing ?

19 hours ago, Genady said:

I don't understand the new problem statement, specifically, the least value of n for a certain i, where i=1,2,3,...n.

The problem is to solve for the least number of circles Ci that can be drawn inside the circle CM. So, we need the least number of circles eg. C1,C2,C3,...,C8 ( as shown in the attached image of the problem) i.e. the value of n=8 for a certain value of L (L<1).