7 minutes ago, Munim said:

We defined entropy and time as a difference between two states/events, not knowing their actual value. For example, time is the period between two events and entropy is the disorder difference between two events, with no unitary point of reference to measure either. Net entropy increases over time and so does time itself, moving forward. Until, entropy reaches equilibrium and no new events occur, i.e. no one experiences time (or do they ?)!

Not sure this belongs in the maths section but I have read there is a view that the entropy increase in irreversible processes determines the direction of time, the issue being, if I have it right, that the equations of mechanics are symmetrical with respect to time, so the only thing distinguishing the past from the present or future is lower entropy.

• Munim changed the title to .

i am new to this forum, it got mixed up, and i dont know how to delete a question posted

22 minutes ago, exchemist said:

Not sure this belongs in the maths section but I have read there is a view that the entropy increase in irreversible processes determines the direction of time, the issue being, if I have it right, that the equations of mechanics are symmetrical with respect to time, so the only thing distinguishing the past from the present or future is lower entropy.

@Munim :

For example, time is the period between two events and entropy is the disorder difference between two events, with no unitary point of reference to measure either.

Why is the best agreed estimation of the dawn of the universe unsuitable as a t=0 from which all other times can be measured?

For a closed system, a pure crystalline solid of any arbitrary size has only one permutation at absolute zero (ground state) and an entropy of zero. It is not totally inconceivable that the initial entropy of the universe was zero.

@Munim :

Net entropy increases over time and so does time itself, moving forward. Until, entropy reaches equilibrium...

Entropy increases with the logarithm of system volume so how can an ever-expanding universe reach equilibrium?

@Munim :

... and no new events occur...

Thermodynamic equilibrium does not preclude, for example, isentropic events...

@Munim :

... i.e. no one experiences time (or do they ?)

... but it may preclude life as we know it, Jim! 

So time may continue with no one left to experience it.

1 hour ago, Munim said:

i am new to this forum, it got mixed up, and i dont know how to delete a question posted

I expect the mods will move it for you if they think that’s best.