perception of hinduism in a biased world

yohai

earlier when i heard someone say that religion and science are the two sides of same coin, i used to get seriously pissed. but after learning about my culture and how media butchers its concepts and also spreads misinformation,i wanted to spread truth about my faith,whats your thought on your religion or mine??

I've not studied Hinduism as much as I have the Abrahamic religions. I don't need gods to explain anything or fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Oddly though, I can appreciate a many gods approach to religion much better than a single god approach. The Abrahamic god is a straight up asshole, imo, and that's all you get. Ganesh, however, is a patron of the sciences and arts, and if you don't like him, there are a couple of others. Infinite power seems better suited to a pantheon than a single entity, if you're going to believe in the supernatural.

58 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I've not studied Hinduism as much as I have the Abrahamic religions. I don't need gods to explain anything or fill in the gaps in my knowledge.

Oddly though, I can appreciate a many gods approach to religion much better than a single god approach. The Abrahamic god is a straight up asshole, imo, and that's all you get. Ganesh, however, is a patron of the sciences and arts, and if you don't like him, there are a couple of others. Infinite power seems better suited to a pantheon than a single entity, if you're going to believe in the supernatural.

well i definitely agree with you about the gods of hindu culture being patrons of science and  arts. in one of our religious prayer,, one doha or couplet predicts the approx distance of sun!! millions of years before europeans even had any idea. btw,why such strong thoughts on abrahamic religions?

Is Hinduism really polytheistic?  I had heard all the deities were actually just aspects of Brahman.  

Anyway, good luck in your seeking of enlightenment and I am vishnu a great weekend!

17 minutes ago, yohai said:

btw,why such strong thoughts on abrahamic religions?

Yahweh has some anger issues.  Not really friend material.

4 minutes ago, zapatos said:

You sure about that?

Yug sahastra jojan par Bhanu Leelyo tahi madhur phal janu, put the values of yug,sahastra and yojan and multiply them with each other

https://www.thehansindia.com/life-style/spiritual/hanuman-chalisa-explained-in-english-616309

17 minutes ago, TheVat said:

Is Hinduism really polytheistic?  I had heard all the deities were actually just aspects of Brahman.  

Anyway, good luck in your seeking of enlightenment and I am vishnu a great weekend!

Yahweh has some anger issues.  Not really friend material.

is that a bleach reference?(yes u r right, they are indeed the different orientations of brahman)

1 hour ago, yohai said:

Yug sahastra jojan par Bhanu Leelyo tahi madhur phal janu, put the values of yug,sahastra and yojan and multiply them with each other

https://www.thehansindia.com/life-style/spiritual/hanuman-chalisa-explained-in-english-616309

Can you please be a little more specific? All I found was "On your own you dashed upon the Sun, which is at a fabulous distance of thousands of miles, thinking it to be a sweet luscious fruit."

What are the other numbers you mention, and why do you multiply them together? Did something in there say you should multiply them?

And finally, I saw nothing indicating these writings are millions of years old.

4 hours ago, zapatos said:

That all religions are made up by people.

Lots of things are "made up", that doesn't mean they aren't true or valid.

Laws that prohibit murder and rape are "made up" by people. That doesn't invalidate them or the principle that murder and rape are morally wrong.

5 hours ago, yohai said:

earlier when i heard someone say that religion and science are the two sides of same coin, i used to get seriously pissed. but after learning about my culture and how media butchers its concepts and also spreads misinformation,i wanted to spread truth about my faith,whats your thought on your religion or mine??

Hinduism is very diverse, so I have no idea what to say.

10 minutes ago, Night FM said:

If God inspired people to institute it, then it can.

If god inspired people to institute it, then it is not made up by people.

Your reasoning in these many threads may work with children and the religiously inclined but on this site people can see right through your vacuous arguments. 

3 minutes ago, zapatos said:

If god inspired people to institute it, then it is not made up by people.

Your reasoning in these many threads may work with children and the religiously inclined but on this site people can see right through your vacuous arguments. 

What do you mean by "made up"? If you mean did someone institutes laws against murder, then yes, the laws were "made up". But the principles the laws were inspired by (e.x. that murder is wrong) were not made up. So it's a false dilemma.

2 hours ago, zapatos said:

Can you please be a little more specific? All I found was "On your own you dashed upon the Sun, which is at a fabulous distance of thousands of miles, thinking it to be a sweet luscious fruit."

What are the other numbers you mention, and why do you multiply them together? Did something in there say you should multiply them?

And finally, I saw nothing indicating these writings are millions of years old.

"Yug" is a measure of time, 4,320,000 years (12,000 divine years). "Sahastra" is a number, 1000. "Jojan" is a measure of distance, from 4 to 10 miles. Multiplying them does not make a distance, of course.

Here is one of their propaganda articles: What is the meaning of line "Yug Shahstra Yojan par Bhanu" which is taken from Hanuman Chalisa? (tutorialspoint.com). Their arbitrary "calculation" goes like this:

The accurate prediction of distance from Earth to Sun:

It was written in Hanuman Chalisa, “Yug Sahasra Yojana Par Bhanu, Leelyo taahi Madhura Phal jaanu”. It does mean that Hanuman has travelled a far distance such as Yug x Sahasra x Yojana to meet Bhanu, the sun thinking it to be a sweet fruit. Now, the terms Yug, Sahasra, Yojana are the words which determine the distance Hanuman has traveled to meet the Sun. The ancient Indian scriptures have given names to distances, weights, and numbers up to a huge extent that the modern day people can never imagine.

According to ancient calculations, as mentioned in Hanuman Chalisa,

1 Yug = 12,000 years

1 Sahasra = 1,000

1 Yojana = 8 Miles

Yug x Sahasra x Yojana = 12,000 x 1,000 x 8 miles = 96,000,000 miles

Where 1 mile = 1.6 Kilometers

96,000,000 miles x 1.6 kilometers = 153,600,000 Kilometers to Sun.

This is exactly the distance calculated by NASA to reach Sun from the Earth. It is really incredible to know that ancient Indians were so talented to calculate the distance between Earth and Sun without any kind of modern-day instruments or calculators.