Organic naming

Primarygun

What's the group that that methyl 2-methylpropeneoate belong?

amine' date=' amide, alkene?[/quote']

The amine group has the suffix of amine so its not that one :)

The amide group has the suffix of amide so its not that one either :)

But this is actually an Ester (Donated by the suffix oate) incase you are interested :)

Also, if this will be of use to you here is my list of organic name suffixes :)

• oic acid = Carboxylic acid
  • oate = Ester
  • amide = Amide
  • nitrile = Cyanide
  • al = Aldehyde
  • one = Ketone
  • ol = Alcohol
  • thiol = Sulphhydryl
  • amine = Amine

Edit: Added the list and changed prefix to siffix :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

you`de start with something like your 2 methyl propeneoic acid and then react that with methanol, the result would be your ester as named above.

I`m a bit of newbie with organic chem too, so I`m sure someone else will elaborate on my answer a bit better :)

actualy I`ve never heard of propENEoic acid on its own, the ENE part probably has something to do with the methly carbon double bond an the `2` position in the Propane chain, making it 2 methyl propene, and then you`de add your COOH group to make the Acid.

I could be wrong though?

Come on guys, you are confusing each other really bad!! I just completed Organic Chemistry Unit in my Advanced Chemistry course. So I can answer Primarygun's question.

-What's the group that that methyl 2-methylpropeneoate belong?

amine, amide, alkene?

Obviously the chemical have the suffix of "oate" therefore it belongs to "Esters". Esters is a group of organic compounds containing the carbonyl group bonded to an oxygen atom. For example, acetic acid reacts with 1-pentanol, and it would produce pentyl ethanoate and water. (Acetic acid is also called ethanoic acid).

Also your naming of "methyl 2-methylproeneoate" is incorrect.

(1) The digit of 2 is not necessary because there is only 3 carbon atoms in propane. Understand this: A methy can't be on either side of propane, or else it will be called butane. So the methyl has to be in the middle which is the 2nd carbon atom.

(2) As you declared it proENE, the digit of 2 is not needed neither.

(3) You said methyl twice which is not a possibility, because 2 bonds are joining 1 carbon atom, and 1 bond with the another carbon. That let 1 left bond for a single methyl. So you only can have 1 methyl if you declare it propENE.

Hope those tips help! :cool:

methyl 2-methylpropeneoate is the methyl ester of 2-methylpropenoic acid. basically it's H3COOCC(CH3)=CH2

to form the methyl ester of 2-methylpropenoic acid must be somewhat tricky, as with fischer esterification, there is competition with the hydration reaction of the alkene. with nucleophilic substitution, there is competition with the addition reaction to the alkene as well.

methyl 2-methylpropeneoate is the methyl ester of 2-methylpropenoic acid. basically it's H3COOCC(CH3)=CH2

The consdensation formula you gave me; How can 2 oxygen atoms bond together? Is each bonded by double bonds?

!!!!!H!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!H

!!!!!|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|

H - C = O = O = C - C = C - H

!!!!!|!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!|!!!!!!!!!!|

!!!!!H!!!!!!!!!!!!!(CH3)!!!!!!H

Is the above diagram correct? [LET THE ! defines as AIR, but it was only inserted there to cover the space between the characters]

Also will you mind to explain me the fischer esterification? Also what is nucleophilic substitution?

Thanks budullewraagh.