busted freezer

Callipygous

our refrigerator/freezer combo has a busted compressor unit. the fridge part is doing fine, the freezer is a lot warmer than it should be. still cold enough to make ice cubes, but just barely. keeping the freezer running is a huge energy drain because the broken compressor is working constantly to try to cool it off. we have a freezer in the garage we can move the stuff over to so my mom wants to know if there is some disadvantage to having the freezer portion turned off and the fridge still on. i think shes worried about it no being insulated enough between the two so the freezer will be leaching the cold out of the fridge or something like that.

any problems you guys know of?

Maybe your fridge need a shot of refrigerant...freon or whatever.

Anyway, I don't see a problem shutting down the freezer (if it can be done). If the freezer is on top, put a couple of pieces of foam insulation in it to help insulate the fridge.

I agree with Douglas, there should be no problem. There is enough insulation between the two compartments to maintain two seperate temps. After all, when it was working the bottom of the freezer got a frost buildup despite being a few inches from the warmer fridge section, didn't it?

Btw, you could have a dead rat in the compressor. Have you had any bad smells in the house lately?

:D :D :D