Copper Sulfate Pentahydrate

sheanhung

Question:

In copper sulfate' date=' there are clearly two modes of binding of hydrated water. What are they? What is the structure of CuSo4.5H2O? Who first determined this structure and how?

It is a difficult question for me. :confused::-([/quote']

Indeed, there are two modes of binding of water. Four molecules are bound as ligand to the copper ion, one molecule best can be regarded as water of crystallization. A better formula for this compound would be

[Cu(H2O)4]SO4 . H2O

I do not know, who first determined this structure of the compound. It first was understood in the beginning of the 20th century, when a more thorough understanding of coordination chemistry was developed.

A similar compound exists, having formula [Cu(NH3)4]SO4.H2O, in which the four molecules, coordinated to the copper ion are replaced by ammonia, while the water of crystallization remains the same. By this kind of analogies, people have deduced that copper forms tetraaqua complexes.

See also this site I found after a simple search on google:

http://antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/inorganic/faq/blue-vitriol.shtml

Lateron, the structure of these compounds has been confirmed with X-ray crystal analysis.