Education opportunities UK vs USA

navynuke

A few years back we had some young people from England visiting us while they were vacationing in the southwest USA. They were all planning on moving here because opportunities were limited back home. One was told to go on the dole after public school, but he wasn't interested in that. One of the girls was told to just get married, but she wanted a career of her own.

Is the UK really all that bad for opportiunities to attend college? (post high school, or over 18)

How does your system work for advanced education and jobs for the younger set?

What do you mean by secondary education?

As in secondary school (what americans call high school) or as in university (which americans seem to call college). I think it's easier if you define an age range!

The only real reason that I know of people going to america for university (18+ education) is because it is cheaper than in the UK.

If someone is not so clever they may be advised to not continue education after 18, but there are many different courses on many subjects and almost everyone will get accepted somewhere.

What do you mean by secondary education?

As in secondary school (what americans call high school) or as in university (which americans seem to call college). I think it's easier if you define an age range!

The only real reason that I know of people going to america for university (18+ education) is because it is cheaper than in the UK.

If someone is not so clever they may be advised to not continue education after 18' date=' but there are many different courses on many subjects and almost everyone will get accepted somewhere.[/quote']

So much cheaper that they can pay out of state/country tuititon rates, room and board, and still be cheaper than at home?

I edited my post as you suggested.

Apparently yes it is cheaper. This is just what I've heard, I've never even looked at the maths, although in general everything is more expensive in the UK (from movies, console/computer games, cars, university, food... everything!)

Now this year (for the first time) the tuition rates in the UK have gone up a mega amount. The maximum is £3000 (approx $6000) per year. Plus living costs etc. So now more than ever I would imagine it can be cheaper to go abroad.

You seem to have a negative view on UK 18+ education from these visitors you had and I'd have to disagree with your view. Literally anyone can get into a university. Sure it may not be one with a good reputation, but it is still education.

If your english visitors didn't have a lot of money or weren't very clever then they may need to work, or it may not be beneficial for them to have more education... but at the end of the day they are in a small minority. People who need financial help can easily get it, the only people who don't go to university are those who don't want to.

As for jobs it is quite possible that there are more kinds of jobs in america simply because it's a bigger country (and yeah I realise there are more people!) but I'm just guessing, I don't know.

You seem to have a negative view on UK 18+ education from these visitors you had and I'd have to disagree with your view. Literally anyone can get into a university. Sure it may not be one with a good reputation' date=' but it is still education.

[/quote']

No, not negative, just asking as someone was trying to tell me that the 2 systems are pretty much the same, and I had my doubts. Looks like the expense is the issue, or difference between there and here.

The girls in question had saved up their money for a long time to make this trip, as their dad was an appliance repairman and barely made ends meet. The young man was the son of African immigrants and he was in the same boat financially. He was not with the other group.

The girls were unable to afford a rental car for a trip to the next state to visit some friends so I let them use one of mine. Even if they had wrecked it, I wouldn't have been out much. It was dependable, tho, and they enjoyed the trip. Only one of the girls knew how to drive but she seemed to be the most self confident, so I was comfortable with it.

You have got to be kidding me! University is waaaay cheaper in the UK than in the US. And I think someone has been having navynuke on, unless 'a while back' means just after WWII...

It is one of yours telling me that the USA is cheaper, the young friends never said expense was the issue, so I was asking you guys.....It was about 15 years ago.

It is one of yours telling me that the USA is cheaper, the young friends never said expense was the issue, so I was asking you guys.....It was about 15 years ago.

I go to a public university and I have a partial scholarship, so I'm paying $2,500 per year... but the average university student can expect about $30,000 per year. The top schools can be even more.

I go to a public university and I have a partial scholarship, so I'm paying $2,500 per year... but the average university student can expect about $30,000 per year. The top schools can be even more.

Top tier universities are probably very expensive everywhere, so lets exclude those. What would be the comparison for public colleges, universities, and community (2 year) colleges?

Top tier universities are probably very expensive everywhere, so lets exclude those. What would be the comparison for public colleges, universities, and community (2 year) colleges?

Public universities (not including scholarship oppurtunities...

probobably between $5,000 and $20,000

edit: and not including room and board