freaking tired

im so freaking tired of some peoples opinion about wolfs here in sweden.

i have debated in forum about this in swedens largest internet "community", people are upset because wolfs occasionally attacks dogs that are not under supervison by their owners, or their cattle occasionally gets attacked (all this happens on the countryside), and those f***ing morons want to short down the wolfpopulation in sweden, because they are afraid someday they grow to much, would be to less herbivores(those who are hunted by by hunters), and they become a threat to the people in villages because sometimes wolfs are spotted in small villages, talkning about them as they wore a deadly spreading virus. and we have more a less 175 wolfes in sweden, compared to spain and portugal for example who have 2000-3000, but you never hear them complainaing. selfish morons who get upset and wants to short down on wolfs just because they don't act as they desire to.

so i want to hear your opinions on this issue

*note:i maybe sounded generalising but i don't mean to, there are many against their opinions too, so all sweden isn't like this, only a little part of the hunter-families.

Same thing happened in US in the 1700-1800's. The wolves here were mostly driven to extiction by ranchers, who didn't like the wolves attacking their flocks. Now most (if not all) species of wolves are protected. The ranchers just have to built better fences.

It's universal human selfishness/stupidity when faced with a large predator. The Southern US has the same problem, just with alligators, and the Western US has the same thing, just with cougars. Africa has that problem with their local big cats. In every instance, the human reaction is the same.

Ironically, people still deny that the same species saying this is responsible for the massive die-off of large mammals at the end of the last ice age.

Mokele

Ironically' date=' people still deny that the same species saying this is responsible for the massive die-off of large mammals at the end of the last ice age.[/quote']

Funnily enough, I think this results from the same selfishness and stupidity. Modern people want to beleive that only we are strong/smart enough to cause massive extinctions. There is plenty of evidence that point to man hunting the large animals to extinction, but it's easier for us to blame climatal changes. They think that men where to primitive and not intellegent enough to do it...

That's just my opinion, of course.

and we have more a less 175 wolfes in sweden

Jesus, really? I think there are more unicorns in Kansas than that. That's unfortunate. Is there anything different about the wolves in Sweden than in other places? Either way, it's still too bad and I'd raise a lot of Hell if I were you.

I saw this thing on TV once about some odd animal that I think was part wolf, part fox, and part kangaroo in Australia became extinct from the same thing. The show started with a farmer shooting one and then the narrator saying something like, "Little did he know, he just caused an entire species to become extinct." Now wouldn't that be heavy to be that guy? There was one still alive in captivity but it was already getting old and had no one to mate with, needless to say their next few generations would be severely inbred anyway and repopulating from there would be difficult.

I'm lucky I live out in the middle of nowhere in Kansas. Randomly there are armadillos, deer, turkey, rabbits, squirell, all sorts of hawks and birds, all kinds of snakes, bobcats, turtles, frogs, all kinds of bugs, etc etc and a mountain lion on two occasions. They enrich my life. You can learn a lot from wild animals, the most important being that you're a domesticated one. I've noticed that my friends who grew up in Wichita are generally sort of freaked out when they see something that isn't a dog or a cat or a bird outside of a zoo or dead on the side of the road, so I could see a reaction from them to kill everything that looks dangerous. But it's strange that farmers are taking that route, because it seems like an old route here.

I totally understand a farmer taking measures to protect his livestock, the farmers in my family just use big dogs and llamas (they're mean and beat up on coyotes pretty good) instead of killing them, which essentially only protects your livestock from that one specific animal, but having a guard dog there and an electric fence does a pretty good job as a constant deterrent.

As for dogs going out and getting attacked, that's generally their fault. Many times I failed to keep a pup from running out to some howling coyotes only to know I'll have to clean him later if he's alive at all. It's just a fact of life. If people think that wildlife isn't as important as their dog, I think they've missed out on a lot.

Don't let them do it. Start an electric fence and llama business.

yeah our wolfs wore almost extinct before, and 175 wolfs is the highest number of wolfs for years, and for the cattle, you rarely see electric or high fences, and the worst part is, you know what my brothers teahcer said to him? "wolfs are very dangerous, they can attack people and bite them by the throat" so when he came home he thought so, i took a serious discussion with him after i heard what happened, i mean, what the hell? but its illegal to kill wolves here, and it will remain so judging by the looks of thye situation, i mean they are few who want to shoot wolfes, but they make themselves heard a lot, i mena if the law changed and wouild allow shooting of wolfs, something would be seriously wrong

anti-wolf people see this new increase of wolfs and think of the population of wolfs are gonna explode, and i heard this argument on a forum:look how much they increased this year and think that one female gives birth to 4 cubs a year, imagine how much wolfes wolfs there will be in 5 years! thousands!"

but little does he know how nature works

anti-wolf people see this new increase of wolfs and think of the population of wolfs are gonna explode' date=' and i heard this argument on a forum:look how much they increased this year and think that one female gives birth to 4 cubs a year, imagine how much wolfes wolfs there will be in 5 years! thousands!"

but little does he know how nature works[/quote']

I don't know the details of your situation, 175 wolves sounds like a small number. In general, it depends on the environment. If the wolves can no longer be supported by the environment, they will try to invade man's territory for easy meals or starve. In the aggregate, an equilibrium may be reached, but in the meantime there may be problems with wolf/human interaction. If people are complaining with just 175 wolves, maybe they should be shipped off somewhere else, or have a subset shipped off.

according to the statitics of "viltskadecentret"( don't know the english translation) wolfs in sweden kill on an average a 100 sheeps, 5-6 cows and more a less two hunting dogs annually.

maybe i gave you a generalising picture about hunters, just want to say that most (at least many) of the hunters are on the pro-wolf side and respects them as the predators of our eco system as they are here.