Magnetic Phenominon

alt_f13

So I was standing in the kitchen throwing magnets at my fridge this morning (yep, still unemployed), and I found that

1) When I through the magnet rotating along the axis of motion in the counter-clockwise direction, it accelerated left as it neared the fridge

and

2) When rotating clockwise it accelerated right.

Is this caused by a change in flux, or some other force?

I ask because the change in direction is rather dramatic for a magnet the size and shape of a business card flying at a fridge.

The magnet weighs 1g BTW. Ain't heavy.

• 4 weeks later...

it also has to do with magnetic atraction and the inverse square law that aplies to the flux density over distance.

it will also exhibit a phenomenon known as magneting damping.

In effect (and it works on non ferrous metals too). the magnets movement generates a current in the metal, which inturn creates a magnetic feild of opposition. there`s a neat experiment to demonstrate this effect, a powerfol cylindrical magnet is rolled downhill on a peice of wood and timed, then the same again using a sheet of metal (even Aluminium) it`ll roll fast at 1`st and then apear to slow down as if in honey or some invisible sticky stuff, and certainly take alot longer to reach the bottom! :)