How would i be able to magnetize this?

get a ferro magnet and rub it against it... put it as the core to an electro magnet...

Although this will ONLY work if the object is made out of a certain small set of elements... so what's it made out of?

get a ferro magnet and rub it against it... put it as the core to an electro magnet...

Although this will ONLY work if the object is made out of a certain small set of elements... so what's it made out of?

which certain elements specifically? As far as I know its metal, here is a picture with details of what I want to happen.

Picture removed.

you could glue magnets to it?

Well the elements I can remember (I belive there's 4 of them), are iron and colbolt.

Magnets don't just repel each other, they also attact there are no magnetic monopoles...

you could glue magnets to it?

Well the elements I can remember (I belive there's 4 of them)' date=' are iron and colbolt.

Magnets don't just repel each other, they also attact there are no magnetic monopoles...[/quote']

Yes but you can also set it up so all the magnets in the housing and the magnet on the drive are the same pole so that they repel each other cant you? Also yes I am gonna JB weld the magnets on to the housing but I dont think I could put a magnet onto the drive unless it was a perfect circular fit. If you can see there are screws to hold the magnets in place inside the housing as well.

there are no magnetic monopoles so you can't stick just a north magnet to the outside because there's no such thing. You could position a magnet so the north side was facing the inside...

As for magnitising the inside well you'd need something really magnetic to "rub" it on to magnatise it and it would work very well...

there are no magnetic monopoles so you can't stick just a north magnet to the outside because there's no such thing. You could position a magnet so the north side was facing the inside...

As for magnitising the inside well you'd need something really magnetic to "rub" it on to magnatise it and it would work very well...

I know there are no known magnetic monopoles, what I meant was I could position each magnet so that they repel each other. Here is another picture.

Pictures removed.

cant u tightly wrap it in copper wire then put a electrical current through the wire?

lol, not sure, but this method might take a little while never tried it before.....

just aligning it with the magnetic poles and doing something to it to re-arrange the molecules, heating it up, bashing it with something hard while using alot of force (by the look of it it wont work anyway, metal is too thick, this particluar technique is one that was used to make early magnets,,, used mainly for compasses.)

edit: both of these may be completely usless to you, but oh well

I magnetized an axle from an old computer printer with copper wire I'm not sure what it was made of though. You could try it though and see what happens. When I did it I took a power transformer for an electric keyboard, exposed the wires and attached them to the wire. I didn't count how many times I wrapped the wire around and I didn't measure How many Tesla it was. I just did it then I used a small compass to confirm that it worked.

What are you trying to do with it? Maybe someone has another suggestion, in case the part can't be magnetized.

yes I am gonna JB weld the magnets on to the housing
Err, I don't know the difference between 'normal' and JB welding, but magnets can become demagnetised when heated to high temperatures. The actual temperature will depend on the magnet.

Repeating s pepperchin why do you want to do this? Just because different purposes come with different solutions. An electromagnet is an option, but is it a realistic solution in this specific situation?

Err' date=' I don't know the difference between 'normal' and JB welding, but magnets can become demagnetised when heated to high temperatures. The actual temperature will depend on the magnet.

Repeating s pepperchin why do you want to do this? Just because different purposes come with different solutions. An electromagnet is an option, but is it a realistic solution in this specific situation?[/quote']

I posted pictures earlier showing the details of my project but i took them off for personal reasons. Anyways I wanted to use it on my 2 stroke motor for racing. Using opposite poles to repel each other with the flow of the motor. The temperature inside the housing of the magnet wont increase by more than ten degrees of that of the temperature outside.