Quicktime can be a bad thing.

alt_f13

Quicktime will not leave me alone. I vowed a long time ago never to install Quicktime or related products again, and I fell back on my word.

It cost me. Quicktime has infected my computer. I have uninstalled it and deleted it and it keeps reappearing in my systray. I disabled it in msconfig and still it persists by creating COPIES OF ITS ENTRY like a VIRUS or TROJAN.

I did it before, I will do it again. Quicktime will be forcibly torn from my system, systray icon and all. And this time I will keep my vow of apple abstainance.

It's the only piece of "non-malicious" software I have ever encountered that duplicates its disabled startup entries and doesn't store its quicklaunch in its primary root folder, causing incomplete uninstallations and cluttering resulting in loss of resources and greater chances or system instability.

From dictionary.com:

worm ( P ) Pronunciation Key (wûrm)

n.

8. Computer Science. A malicious program that replicates itself until it fills all of the storage space on a drive or network.

Granted I would have to disable it billions of times for it to consume my harddrive, but what kind of honest, self-respecting sofware company uses such a tactic? Only one to my knowlege.

AOL puts down about 600 evil tentacles even if you begin then cancel the installer.

Even if you did install and uninstall QT billions of times, filling your hard-drive, the definition for "worm" you cited would not apply, as self-replication is not a function of the program - it's you who is replicating it.

Uninstall it, delete the folders, search for .ini and .dll files that might be relatd to QT and move them to a folder you can quarantine (in case your PC needs them), and use a registry backup/cleanup tool to get rid of its evil keys.

Then see if anything nasty happens ;)

Originally posted by Sayonara³

AOL puts down about 600 evil tentacles even if you begin then cancel the installer.

Even if you did install and uninstall QT billions of times, filling your hard-drive, the definition for "worm" you cited would not apply, as self-replication is not a function of the program - it's you who is replicating it.

Uninstall it, delete the folders, search for .ini and .dll files that might be relatd to QT and move them to a folder you can quarantine (in case your PC needs them), and use a registry backup/cleanup tool to get rid of its evil keys.

Then see if anything nasty happens ;)

It has hidden files somewheres in the windows folder and DOES add more startup entries by itself, thus producing its own code on my hardrive w/o my knowledge... it is not self-replicating however. Merely replacing disabled startup commands (msconfig>startup), not reenabling the old ones, creating new ones.

And here we go taking trivial comments litterally again. I am merely trying to illustrate my displeasure with a huge product such as Quicktime that places sneaky little files on my harddrive w/o my knowledge. I can understand software like kazaa, already a shady piece of coding, placing adware etc on my computer, but I am getting highly annoyed with the big boys in computer software (ie Microsoft, Apple etc..)

Quicktime is one of the worst players I have seen besides, but there are many things on the internet using its format. I don't find the enormous hassle worth it though for such a trivial, inadiquate application. Windows media player et al. are much more functional and easy to work with, with less hassle.

At least it doesn't have those stupid fking pop-up "news alert" things that the Real One player uses - boy thse make me mad :mad:

Try uninstalling it, then reinstalling it with the minimum components, turning off the system tray icon and update on demand options, and just never using it. At least then you know exactly what is on your machine.

HAHAHA, you changed my title?

Originally posted by alt_f13

And here we go taking trivial comments litterally again...

Bloody hillarious. ;)

Edit -- I think the "tool of the devil thread" should be changed to "tool of many mean people who are in no way affiliated with the devil".