Curb That Bonfire Night Madness

Sayonara

An email we just got at work telling us how to avoid being in the 3.1*10-6% of people killed by Guy Fawkes's evil spirit:

Bonfire night should be fun but sadly many people are still being needlessly hurt, some very seriously.

Last year in the UK 900 people were taken to hospital due to accidents with fireworks – 2 of these people died. A high number of these accidents involved children.

There is no reason for anyone to be hurt on bonfire night. With a few sensible precautions and care everyone should be able to enjoy the event safely. However, it’s important to remember that fireworks and fire have the potential to inflict serious harm and must be treated with respect.

Did you know...?

* A firework rocket can travel up to 150 miles per hour.

* A sparkler can reach a temperature of 2000 degrees centigrade.

* Hand and eye injuries are the most common type of injury caused by the misuse of fireworks.

REMEMBER, REMEMBER...

Firework safety

* Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114 (UK only)

* Keep fireworks in a closed box.

* Follow the instructions on each firework.

* Light them at arms length then stand well back.

* Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.

* Always supervise children around fireworks.

* Wear gloves if holding sparklers and never give sparklers to very young children.

* Keep pets indoors.

Bonfire safety

* Bonfires should always be built at least 18 metres from buildings, fences and hedges.

* Tyres or aerosols should never be put onto a bonfire.

* Before lighting the bonfire always check to make sure no children or animals have climbed into it.

* Flammable liquids such as petrol should never be used to start a bonfire.

* Once lit, keep well back from the fire.

* Supervise children at all times.

What's unreasonable about that email? there are are hundreds of kids horrifically maimed by fireworks each year - the items on the list are just common sense. Throwing areosols on a bonfire is just crass stupidity and wearing gloves with sparklers is an equally normal thing to do.

I`m actualy quite surprised at how low the figures are talking of stats, 5`ll get ya 10 most are from the west Midlands area if you had a way to find out!

the majority here haven`t got the brains they were born with!

Sayonara³ said in post #1 :

Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114 (UK only)

Hand and eye injuries are the most common type of injury caused by the misuse of fireworks.

i just want to point out two interesting things

1) i find it funny that, when in the UK, you should only buy fireworks marked with "BS" 7114

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .:haha:

2) hand and eye are not really types of injuries, they are merely areas of the body where injuries can occur. a type of injury, and even more important than where injuries commonly occur, is things like: burned skin, punctured skin, severed bits, tiny cuts, explosions, etc..

I really dont get why this email even merits a thread;

I wouldnt buy fireworkds without the BS 7114 label because without said label theyre probably cheap chinese imitation fireworks that will blow up in your face and blind you for life (is that a funny event? NO).

hand and eye are very real injuries, if youve ever seen a child with a hideous scar where his left eye should be, or a burnt stump where his hand should be, you'll actually appreciate that 'hand and eye' ARE types of injuries and perhaps fireworks whould be taken seriously.

try visiting the A&E ward around november the 6th. It'll be a real eye opener for some people clearly.

greg1917 said in post #8 :

I really dont get why this email even merits a thread;

I wouldnt buy fireworkds without the BS 7114 label because without said label theyre probably cheap chinese imitation fireworks that will blow up in your face and blind you for life (is that a funny event? NO).

hand and eye are very real injuries, if youve ever seen a child with a hideous scar where his left eye should be, or a burnt stump where his hand should be, you'll actually appreciate that 'hand and eye' ARE types of injuries and perhaps fireworks whould be taken seriously.

try visiting the A&E ward around november the 6th. It'll be a real eye opener for some people clearly.

no, that's not at all what i was saying... i was just pointing out some semi-funny things in a serious e-mail post.... should i not do that? i don't have to ever make a joke again.

i am sure fireworks without that label are fakes, and i wouldn't buy one either. i always do what that e-mail says (except wearing glowes while holding sparklers). i wasn't saying the result was funny, just that it is kind of ironic that the brand you should trust is marked with BS 7114. i am sure everyone knows that the BS does not stand for what i implied, which is why i thought it would be okay if i implied it, i guess i was wrong.

also, that second thing i said wasn't supposed to be funny or ironic, i was making a legitimate point, and asking a legitimate question. why don't these sort of safety precautions ever say what types of injuries are common. hand and eye are not "types" of injuries, they are areas of the body. just as important as where the injuries are is what the injuries are. knowing how the most common injuries result and the severity of the injuries helps people understand how to prevent them. all hand and eye says is "dont hold them when you light them and don't point them at your face." that is not useful information.

now what you said IS useful information: a large scar across one eye, and a permanently severed limb. this is more descriptive and promotes more safety. it says to be aware that fireworks can change direction unnexpectedly, and that poor fireworks can explode as you light them. this is very useful information.

P.S. i was not disagreeing with anything in there, just pointing out two interesting things.... although when it says gloves, it implies huge chemical protective gloves, which is jotally overkill..., but other than that i think it's great that the company sent that e-mail out (promoting common sense is a good thing). sorry if you took it that i thought otherwise...

BS 7114 is not a brand, it is a mark given to fireworks that meet the British Standards for safety.

URL: http://www.dti.gov.uk/ccp/topics1/guide/fireworkguide.pdf

There are plenty of people in the UK who aren't even aware the standards system exists, hence why something that is well-known to people like myself and Greg is included in annual safety messages.

Although I somehow think Chinese fireworks would be preferable to ones with a BS mark ;)

seriously now, Nov 5`th is 2moro, thre are a good many precautions that SHOULD be observed that aren`t mentioned in that email that could make the pyro experience alot more pleasurable (or less dangerous)

take the fireworks out 1 at a time and close the box it came from before lighting anything, always have an adult present, and NEVER be drinking alc when using these devices.

the bucket of water I`ve already mentioned.

NEVER let your fireworks get damp either! it causes "misfires" and unpredictable behaviour, never go back to a device that didn`t operate, wait a good 2 minutes then pour sand over it or water, leave it soak in a bucket of water afterwards and dispose of it next day.

never tamper or light more than one at a time or angle them other than perpendicular to gravity, allow enough space for each device and allow for wind blowing.

It`s NOT cool to be missing fingers with blood pouring down your arm and you screaming like a little girl with a grazed knee, so never hold firworks in your hands while active, you didn`t make them so you never know WHAT may happen! gloves for srarklers is a good idea, but NEVER use plastic based gloves, you`ll make things worse!, leather or wool or cotton, nothing manmade!

seems like I`m ranting a bit,,, but I`ve SEEN the damage they can do 1`st hand, and if any of these tips prevents ONE accident then I`ll be a happy man :)

Enjoy! :)

In Southampton they set off fireworks every night from about October 1st until New Year. Kids eh? I wouldn't be suprised if one kid a week ends up needing hospital treatment for firework related injuried just here!

Sayonara³ said in post #10 :

BS 7114 is not a brand, it is a mark given to fireworks that meet the British Standards for safety.

i said/meant a brand that is marked with that. i couldn't think of a way to phrase it when i said it, so i did the best i could... nevermind, it's not important.

although, i did not know that the mark stands for British Standards for safety.... well, now i know... and i hope i would have known if i lived there, lol.

Sayonara³ said in post #15 :

Oh right, you meant brand as in "I'm just popping out to brand my cattle so Jethro and his gang don't rustle them".

well actually... no, lol.

i meant brand as in what you thought, but i said "the brand you should trust is marked with BS 7114." as in, generally specific brands are marked with that because only specific brands have been inspected and given approval. generally there won't be one type of firework that is bad within a company. it is usually that all of them are bad, or none of them are bad (i think). so, i meant brand in the way you said, but i meant mark also in the way you said.

i'm kinda tired, so... i hope that makes sense

with all the counterfeit items out there nowadays anyway, I wouldn`t trust any of it anyway, unless it was bought from a reputable dealer (Large supermarkets can be mostly trusted)

It`ll all change anyway soon if the Gov get their way... nothing louder than 120bd, nothing after 11pm, only to be sold 3 weeks prior to Nov5 and around new years eve.... Hmmm.. anyone spot a problem there?

Ilegal after 11pm, but selling them for years eve which is clearly 12 midnight? (maybe it`s just me)

also, if you deploy them on your own land (or FROM) there`s no legislation against that either, it states "In a Public Place" only.

what a waste of tax payers money this new law`s gunna be! !!!!

and about as usefull as a chocolate sledge hammer! :)

Im just furious this law wasnt introduced years ago. Its typical of this useless waster Labour Government to drone on about tackling antisocial behaviour then wait till its 6th year in office to bother restricting firework sales, they should have been severely restricted years ago!

We have limits on the types of fireworks that can be purchased in florida. So every year on the way back from vacation we [brother and I] stop at a huge fireworks shop in alabama or tennesee, pick up all kinds of illegals, and bring them back. The law only says you can't PURCHASE them here.

Technically, you can purchase them. But the firework stores make you sign a waiver saying you're using them for railroad blasting or something. Its just some legal mohumina.