Help on sci fair variables

cobra

it melts faster in water, due to surface area adhesion.and cold water as opposed to hot works better too, I know it sounds contra intuitive, but it`s just a fact, use cold water :)

the reasons escape me at the moment, but it`s quite logical when you hear/read it :)

The manipulating variable is the one that causes the effect, I.E. the temperature of the medium you place the ice in (air or water).

The responding variable is the one that responds, I.E. the time it takes the ice to completely melt in that medium.

I'm not sure temperature can be the correct independent (manipulating) variable here. The stated aim of the experiment is to test whether ice melts faster in water or air. This makes the medium the independent variable. Rate of melting is the dependent (responding) variable.

However, to test the hypothesis that 'Ice melts faster in water/air' (1-tailed) or 'there will be a difference in melting times of ice in water or in air' (2-tailed), the temperature of the medium would be a confounding variable (if the two were at different temps), so it would be up to the researcher to control it, ensuring the air and water temps were the same across trials.