Interesting Browser Stats

herme3

I own something that is similar to a banner exchange. Therefore, I can see some information about lots of visitors from many different types of web sites. I was looking at the statistics, and they are very different than what I saw just a few months ago. A few months ago, about 75% of the visitors were using Internet Explorer, about 20% used Firefox, and about 5% used another browser. Here are today's stats:

stats.jpg

Quite interesting. It appears Firefox is shooting up in the popularity rankings. I'm glad to see it myself.

I think the main reason why people stayed away from Firefox was because it didn't work with a lot of web sites. Now that web sites are becoming compliant with the standards, using Firefox doesn't seem to be a problem for the average user anymore.

what's crazy browser?

http://www.crazybrowser.com

I've never tried Crazy Browser before. I think it is like Firefox, except it uses the IE rendering engine.

I own something that is similar to a banner exchange. Therefore, I can see some information about lots of visitors from many different types of web sites. I was looking at the statistics, and they are very different than what I saw just a few months ago. A few months ago, about 75% of the visitors were using Internet Explorer, about 20% used Firefox, and about 5% used another browser. Here are today's stats:
Where are today's stats, exactly?

what's crazy browser?

An IE shell... looks new but its just IE with a make over, same problems and all... If you want to ingerit all the security problems and rendering problems then use it, otherwise use Firefox or Opera :D

It would be cool is we could see the SNF stats online...

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

Where are today's stats, exactly?

The stats are from my web host.

By the way, who moved this thread to "General Discussion"? I don't understand how web browsers aren't related to "Computer Science".

The stats are from my web host.

By the way' date=' who moved this thread to "General Discussion"? I don't understand how web browsers aren't related to "Computer Science".[/quote']

Well they are but maybe the staff were afraid the topic would go offtopic?

Right now my site has the most IE visitors by about 2% :)

On a side note the most bandwidth used for a single file is from one small animated GIF file (over 56MB :o), I guess its popular :)

Cheers,

Ryan Jones

This was moved by a moderator because it is not computer science.

Herme3, you must be careful not to fall into the trap of believing that client stats from one site are representative of web-wide trends. Different sites attract different kinds of users depending on the content, so for instance a site that deals mainly with computers and coding is likely to attract a disproportionately large number of people with non-IE browsers.

There are companies out there that produce browser usage stats that more accurately reflect current trends. It's interesting to follow.

This was moved by a moderator because it is not computer science.

What is computer science? Is it just the hardware of a computer?

Herme3, you must be careful not to fall into the trap of believing that client stats from one site are representative of web-wide trends. Different sites attract different kinds of users depending on the content, so for instance a site that deals mainly with computers and coding is likely to attract a disproportionately large number of people with non-IE browsers.

The stats that I posted came from about 40 different web sites that use my service that is similar to a banner exchange. A large majority of those sites are Internet marketing and web site promotion services. These sites have just recently shown a large increase in Firefox users. A few months ago, about 75% of their users were using IE. I'm not really sure what would cause the change, because I haven't noticed Firefox advertisements on those sites.

There are companies out there that produce browser usage stats that more accurately reflect current trends. It's interesting to follow.

How could anyone show stats that reflect the whole web? The only person who has access to the stats on my web site is me. I suppose my web host could also look at the stats. On most other web sites, the stats are probably only viewed by the webmasters, so how can anyone determine the statistics for all web sites combined?

What is computer science? Is it just the hardware of a computer?

That which relates to the science of computing, which reading server logs is not.

The stats that I posted came from about 40 different web sites that use my service that is similar to a banner exchange.

Ahhh right, that was not clear (probably because I scanned :P).

A large majority of those sites are Internet marketing and web site promotion services. These sites have just recently shown a large increase in Firefox users. A few months ago, about 75% of their users were using IE. I'm not really sure what would cause the change, because I haven't noticed Firefox advertisements on those sites.

It is possible that people are visiting more frequently with Firefox because it has much better tools for blocking marketing content. But still an interesting rise nonetheless.

How could anyone show stats that reflect the whole web? The only person who has access to the stats on my web site is me. I suppose my web host could also look at the stats. On most other web sites, the stats are probably only viewed by the webmasters, so how can anyone determine the statistics for all web sites combined?

Because the traffic does not simply go Client<-->Your server. It passes through a good dozen nodes on the way, and the headers are public.