Quiet

Squintz

Its a java application which means it still uses a server and connects to a chat host and being a programmer i understand that it is very easy to hack into IRC clients using backdoors and such. So i wouldnt even attempt to. Same thing with Yahoo Chat MSN Chat and AIM and every other chat client available. They all leave open doors for hackers to enter through and the information we have here at work is to valuable to be exposing like that. We run virus check every hour and we have firewalls out the gazoo... In fact out firewall wont even allow us to connect to any IRC servers that have the term IRC in the adress.

So no the java app is out. But when i ge home i will be more than willing to chat with you guys. I really didnt even bother to notice you had a chat room

On a side note... XBox should great a chat room. I like playing xbox live and i like to chat so why not make a realworld game where you can walk around and chat with people. They do it for the pc its a new program calle "REAL" i have never played it but i saw it on "Tech TV" and it looked like fun. It was a real simulated world where people could start their own buisness and stuff and make "REAL dollars" which can actually be converted to USD at a exchange rate of i think 3000 to 1 or something. Check it out!

IP adresses are only good to those who are not behind a router and a multiple secure firewalls. Sure it could be cracked but only if we leave ourselves open to stupid thinds like opening a port simply to chat to our friends. Instead of doing that the military encourages us to go ahead and dial long distance from the telephone. No charge to us. It keeps our ports closed. The only ports open are the e-mail ports and maybe one or two others that i dont know about but what good is it to hack e-mail. Iv done it it was fun the first time but after that its usless unless you want to do something like send a letter to someone and make them think its not you. In order to get to my point you would have to go throught many and many routers and firewalls which by time you paid a professional to do it would not be worth the money because the info we have on our systems a one encrypted and two not usefull to anyone because well i get paid to do pretty much nothing.

Squintz said in post #12 :

Instead of doing that the military encourages us to go ahead and dial long distance from the telephone. No charge to us.

Excuse my ignorance, please - but could you supply a few details on this? Is it a new price plan by AT&T or something?

what good is it to hack e-mail. Iv done it it was fun the first time but after that its usless unless you want to do something like send a letter to someone and make them think its not you.
Are you trying to kill me? I read that very nearly choked to death on my BLT. Please tell me you don't mean you changed the "Reply-To:" bit in Outlook Express once, and now consider yourself a "l337 h4x0r" with "ph33r50m3 5k1llz". Please?

In order to get to my point you would have to go throught many and many routers and firewalls which by time you paid a professional to do it
You mean like this?

traceroute to http://www.yahoo.akadns.net (216.109.118.70), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets

1 195.92.224.2 0.893 ms 0.537 ms 0.203 ms

2 195.92.201.9 6.966 ms 6.868 ms 7.019 ms

3 213.228.221.22 111.936 ms 112.045 ms 111.872 ms

4 216.115.98.98 314.851 ms 223.870 ms 199.880 ms

5 216.109.120.173 112.895 ms 113.021 ms 113.219 ms

6 216.109.120.154 113.657 ms 113.081 ms 216.109.120.150 113.258 ms

7 216.109.118.70 113.225 ms 113.267 ms 114.247 ms

I'm so leet.

i get paid to do pretty much nothing.
I can see why.

About the telephone thing. Its not free to the military just free to me. I get my own little desk and my own little phone and i can call who i want when i want within the USA and i pay nothing my work pays for it. Many companys do this.

I used telnet to send e-mail from a e-mail server which was not mine i was young and yes it was easy. I wouldnt even call it a hack. Im not a hacker so i wouldnt know the first thing about hacking into my own system but i do know that having my ip doesnt give you access to my PC.

And third thats not my ip.... i did and ipconfig and looked at my ip and thats not it. That just got you to our main server now you have to get to the PC with the information on it which i dont recomend you try because you will be caught im about 50% sure of that. Not very good odds but i wouldnt want my name on any list so i wouldnt recomend it.

Sorry if i came off trying to sound like i knew what i was talking about but im simply joining in on the conversation.

My ip starts with a 1##.###.###.###

So nope thats not it.

Squintz said in post #16 :

And third thats not my ip.... i did and ipconfig and looked at my ip and thats not it.

No, it isn't. It's one of Yahoo's many IP's.

I was just showing you how to "go throught many and many routers and firewalls" :)

It depends on how you look at it.

If you want lots of people getting into interesting, challenging discussion and flamefests, email's no good.

Forums though are all too often set up to massage the ego of one dictator, and can be shut down nice and easy.

I thought the issue was that he couldn't use the IRC client due to the security issues. It was mentioned all you need is an IP and a port scanner to hack, so they may as well use the IRC client anyhow and sod the risk. Which is a bit like saying, I know where you live, therefore I can break in (past the military style defenses) so you may as well leave the door unlocked.

But hey, I'm not really paying much attention.

Well im sure they say its because of security reasons but its also so we will get work done. I mean i do have a real job and i should be doing it but why when i can chat.

I have used a IRC chat from work before but i had to use a dot java or something like that type of address. Most irc addresses are network.irc.com or something.. its been so long since if used irc i cant even remember.

The only chat we are allowed to use is a inhouse chat thing where we can only chat to other employees. but why the hell use that when we can just pick up the phone and dial and extention.

And also, I hosted a forum once CBeginnersUnited.com is what it was called and i came up with the bright idea to have an IRC chat room along with the forum. All it did was allowed everyone get their questions answered on the IRC network and the forum stayed where i left it when i started the chat relay. Im not sure if it has the same effect on this site but what happens when someone brings up a topic in IRC room and nobody desides to log it. Once everyone who was perticipating leaves the room all that good information is lost. where as if i ask questions on the forum the entire subject is loged and is there for everyone else to read and learn from.

I got rid of aol because i no longer needed chat. The invention of easy to host PHP based forums is once of the best creations in my eyes. It makes chatting more fun and learning easier.

Ok ill stop now im rambling on!!!

squabbling = does not belong on the forums

if the kiddies want to have testosterone contests, please move it to the chat (whether your computer has access or not)

squintz, I'm sure that if you've got that kind of access on your computer and whatnot, they're probably using spyware, and are reading every bit you send

please learn punctuation and have a nice day :D