Enzyme molecular weight

Hi all,

I'm currently writing up one of the experiments for my course but there is something that has me stumped where to find the info on it. Part of it requires me to find out the molecular weights of myoglobin, carbonic anhydrase, BSA, ovalbumin and gamma globulin.

I have some really rough figures for those, but the problem is that I can't find anything reliable on the internet (most of it seems to have been written by someone off of the top of their head, no two figures seem to add up) and the resources I have at my college are..limited at best.

I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the direction of a book or a website that has information on it? I've gone through this once with my lecturer and he gave me rough figures, but I did a typical thing - went on the lash, forgot I had the notes in my back pocket and lost them. Do'h! :eek:

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Seriously. The MWs for these "enzymes" are about the easiest thing ever to find as they are the molecular weight standards that are sold by about a hundred companies.

ie, see Sigma, Promega, Invitrogen, etc, etc.

I'm guessing that you understood almost nothing about the experiment that you did. Prove me wrong and tell me why the SDS causes the proteins to migrate.

The SDS converts them to their primary structure and binds to them to give them a uniform charge:molecular weight ratio, so they are seperated by their molecular weight rather than the charge that they would normally carry. FYI we didn't use SDS, and yes, I should have used proteins rather than enzymes, but it was late and I had been up for hours doing work.

I dont even know why I am replying to your post to be honest, what I replied with might be wrong but I have nothing to prove to you, I asked for people's help, not replies like that. I'll be the first to put up my hand and say I dont know something, like where to find the molecular weight of a protein for example, which is why I came on here asking the question.

Go to either ncbi or even better, the swissprot database, and search for the proteins. It would be even better if you knew from which organism they were isolated from (although the difference would not be very large in any case).

Different organims could easily account for slightly different numbers in the MW that you may have found.