Interesting story

zyncod

So, apparently from the various sources (NY Times, Han's Deposition), it appears that some fairly serious crimes (assisting suicide, reckless endangerment - three felony counts) are being charged almost solely on the statements of the "perpetrator"- for those of you that are entirely unaware of the story, here's how the general understanding goes at the moment:

1. Victor Han, who was having an extramarital affair, drove to Bear Mountain with his wife and 2 children, ages 3 and 5.

2. Victor Han knew, and told the police a fact that nobody else seems to be aware of, that his wife was suicidal.

3. Victor's statements seem to indicate that he thought his wife was not suicidal at the moment that he stopped on a road above the Bear Mountain Bridge, ostensibly to take a picture.

4. Victor left the car (after putting it in park, according to him), with his wife and children still inside.

5. The car rolled down a cliff, killing his wife, while the two children survived.

My personal connection to the story is that I used to run cross-country races at Bear Mountain, and actually do remember the exact spot the car went over. It is, actually, one of the few naturally beautiful places in the NY suburb area. I'm just wondering what other people think - and you actually probably will need to do more research than what I provided to get the full idea of what happened.