Science Fair...Yay!

Guest kindergoth441

Guest kindergoth441

Yes, Science Fair time again...Don't you love it. Last year (keep in mind, this is in 6th Grade), I did a project on Hormesis and won! Oh, well...This year I have difficulty choosing a project...I was thinking of doing something on Biodiversity, the Gaia Theory, or Parallel Universes...The only problem is that it either needs to be an experiment or a physical representation of a model of that thing...). So I am having a lot of trouble trying to find a model for the Gaia Theory (maybe Daisyworld...), Biodiversity, or Parallel Universes. So If any of you have any suggestions for these projects or even suggestions for new ones, any help would be appreciated greatly...Thank you!

Guest kindergoth441

Or maybe something on EVPs would be good too (I have always wanted to do something on Electronic Voice Phenomonom). I have always been atracted to the supernatural stuff. So, any help?

Whats shakin? I'm amazed that you're only in 6th grade, you seem leaps ahead of most 6th graders. Anyhow, congrats on your win last year! I'll try and come up with some ideas with you tomorrow, I've got an organic final tomorrow morning that has me sweating blood.

Guest kindergoth441

Sorry for posting AGAIN, but being bored on a cool science forum...You have to do something. At one point, I wanted to do something on Criminal Psychiatry (my dream occupation), but I don't think my class would appreciate that much...:(

A really good experiment you could do is experimentally measure the speed of light using a microwave, I believe blike posted details about it somewhere. If you're interested I can help to find it tomorrow, seeing how its 5:30AM here I don't have too much energy left tonight lol.

Guest kindergoth441

Actually...I am really wanting to do a project on Parallel Universes...The only problem is that it has to be an experiment OR a model WITH a demonstration. I don't know how I could make the model...Maybe a bunch of plastic see through bubbles to represent the level 1 multivereses or something. I don't know. ANy help you guys?

We don't even know whether they exist or not (to the best of my knowledge), and conceptually they're wierd anyway. Possibly not the best thing to do for a science fair, but if you have your heart set on it, good luck to you :)

• 1 year later...
Guest Sithlordmike

I'm also kinda in a bust, i want to do something on physics but i dont know what i should do, so can anyone help, im a 8th grader so u know, but im kinda short on time thanks. o and also i need todo something that i can have a test of 2 things or more not just a show project.

Or maybe something on EVPs would be good too (I have always wanted to do something on Electronic Voice Phenomonom). I have always been atracted to the supernatural stuff. So, any help?

here are a couple of things about evp:

white noise was the crappiest movie ever made (yes, that includes Head by the Monkeys).

evp is pure male bovine excriment. when they show evp on tv(or you can find some on the net), don't look at the words they give you. if you don't look, all you hear is static. look and your mind thinks it hears what is written.

maybe that would be a good project. show how evp is fake. get a "sample" and play it once with the words covered, then again with them showing. see if you hear the "voices."

Dammit, kinder's the only Lovecraft-fan I've seen here and he's gone already, for quite some time too. :))

And for Sithlordmike, if you have to do something in the area of physics, do something involving ionizing radiation. There's nothing better than ionizing radiation, and all who say there is are dirty buggers.

There are lots of good experiments to do with alpha and other nice particles. A cloud chamber or a even a primitive cyclotron or accelerator might be a bit out there for one person with rather limited funds, but a self-made spinthariscope isn't a bad idea (all you need is a medium-strong alpha-emitter and some activated zinc sulfide you can get from United Nuclear). Making uranium rocks/marbles glow with a UV-lamp is nice too (although perhaps too simple for a science fair). Be creative, radioactivity is like mercury or gasoline; it's dangerous, but boy is it fun to play with some! Just don't build a gigantic man-slaying neutron gun or anything like that. :)

A really good experiment you could do is experimentally measure the speed of light using a microwave, I believe blike posted details about it somewhere. If you're interested I can help to find it tomorrow, seeing how its 5:30AM here I don't have too much energy left tonight lol.

I posted that