need help

tj107us

A) I hope you mean fahrenheit because 100 celsius would fry it and

B) Why are you even using fahrenheit??? lol. This is a science website, and science uses metric units

-_-'

C) No clue if it will help lol. Instinctually you would think so, but it would probably depend on whether the plant is native to a warm environment or not.

I have start to germinate a seed and i was just wondering if i put the pot that the seed is in, in a incibator at a 100 degrees. Would that speed you the process or will it just stay a seed?

It depends on the seed. What kind of plant is it from? Some seeds need stratifying before they germinate. In this case, you'd need to sow the seeds in layers in sharp sand and stick them in a fridge at about 4*C for a few weeks. Other types need to be exposed to fire before they'll germinate.

If it's just seed from a 'normal' temperate zone plant, e.g. an anual flowering plant or something, then these will germinate as soon as the mean soil temperature reaches 10*C (~50*f).

However, if the temperature is too high, some seeds will remain dormant as it would be too hot for the seedling to survive. I would take the temperature of the incubator down a bit, say to the low to mid 70sf. Most people germinate seeds between 65 - 75*f. 100 is too high for many seeds.

actualy I`m intrigued as to what you might be starting off this time of year, in the Northern hemisphere, over wintering onions and brassicas are typical for about now, of course if you`re in Oz then there`s a wider choice as early spring isn`t far away.

as Glider said, it really depends on the seed, Chilis will enjoy 100f (some even require it for a good germination rate).

probably the strangest germination ideal is for curly leaf Parsley, you get a much higher germination percentage if you sow them in plain soil (nothing too rich) then put them in the fridge at night and in the warmth during the day, they seem to need the temperature fluctuation for a good success rate.