Evolutionary purpose of the nasal septum?

It's a leftover, a developmental relic. Originally the "nose" was simply a pair of pits on each side of the snout, containing chemoreceptors. In early lungfish, the pits became tubes connecting to the inside of the mouth. In synapsid reptiles, the pits moved to the back of the mouth and, eventually past the pallate, resulting in the mammalian condition.

IIRC, several defects of bilateral development result in (non-viable) fetuses with only a single nostril.

So basically, it's not there because it's an adaptation, it's there because it's a developmental consequence of our evolutionary history.

Mokele

:D

I reckon it is much simpler than all the above:

Without the septum, when you inhaled, your nose would close, like a flap-valve: when you breathed out, it would make a noise like a whoopy cushion.

Why two nasal orifices? Olefactory focussing and backup facility of course, so you can tell who has farted, and when I am digitally unclogging one nostril, I can still breathe through the other.

Are there not some animals, seals and camels for example, that can open and close their nasal flaps at will?

Without the septum, when you inhaled, your nose would close, like a flap-valve: when you breathed out, it would make a noise like a whoopy cushion.

Not actually, the nose is full of elastic cartilage that provides more than ample support to prevent this.

Why two nasal orifices? Olefactory focussing and backup facility of course, so you can tell who has farted, and when I am digitally unclogging one nostril, I can still breathe through the other.

Actually, mammals are incapable of directional smell. Although there are two nostrils, the airstreams fuse and intermix in the nasal cavity.

Are there not some animals, seals and camels for example, that can open and close their nasal flaps at will?

Yes, though that's not really relevant.

Mokele