solar panel components

Ice Fox

Hey I'm wanting to make some solar panels for home use and I need to know what stuff I will need to do this mainly out of junk simple reason I have little to no funds but I am in the middle of the texas permian basin (The 'Armpit') so there is a lot of supplies just out in the field that I can salvage "har har" although I do know some will need to be bought, the reason I need this info is I'm bulding some work shops in my backyard and will need to power 75 volt motors and a kiln for ceramics.

If there any blueprints that would really help, lol.

ahh photovoltaic (electricity producing) solar panels may be a tad out of reach for building out of junk. you need slabs of semiconductors.

you could make thermal solar panels to heat water easily though. or a solar furnace to boil water and drive a turbine perhaps.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.solideas.com/solrcell/english.html

Try this link, it describes the basics for making a photovoltaic cell, it seems to be relitively efficient you just need lots of glass, TiO2, SnO2, red-purple dye ,Porus TiO2 film, carbon/graphite, and iodine.

If you can get supplies of those it may just be cheaper then buying cells, but i assume it would be very time consuming.

I'm calculating that the output of a panel 500mm * 1000mm to be about 20w which is a quarter of what a commertial polycrystalline panel of the same size would give.

And that panel would cost $500ish retail, also it should be more durable and have longer life expectancy then a homemade panel, but you might want to try it as an interesting experiment :)