3 Dimensional imagery for TVs?

bigOz

Has anyone heard of any future plans for producing TVs (and PCs maybe?) producing 3D images?

I am about to invest a lot of money on a very large screen TV but feel a little reluctant. The science is advancing so fast, I keep getting this feeling some manufacturer is holding back a nasty surprise for prople in my position.

If anyone has heard of any recent 3D imagery plans for TVs please let us know...:cool:

i've seen goggles with 2 miniature high res lcds, one for each eye, you can crank 3d out of those, the one i saw also had bone conduction audio so the only person hearing it is you, the whole thing is water-proof and sets you back to the financial stone age.

Yes, they've made several in Japan... LCDs with multiple layers. which appear 3D to the person viewing them.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/11/sharp_lcd/

Thanks for that - it is a great invention because it is the actual screen that is manupilating any input source, so it can be used for a laptop, TV, mobile whatever! But at those prices for only 15 inches, the use will probably be confined to laptops and mobile phones...

My own enquiries since I posted this topic has shown that although at tleat one well known brand's manufacturer has designed a prototype, actual mass production is a long time to come yet. Also, just like with any such new invention, the quality will be low and the price sky-high. So, for now, I think I'll be safe with buying a conventional HD flat TV.