Variance of Intelligence.

GutZ

Maybe this is the wrong section...

Anyway, I was wondering do you think or can you say with certianity whether or not intelligence varies in large amounts between people. If you took a population and gave them all sorts of test with several different aspects (Alot of people would find IQ not so great for putting a number on intelligence, but it is an indication of something, but for I guess best results or compliance, other tests would be done) of intelligence do you think overall there are clear groups of people that are exponentially smarter than the rest. Take people like Einstein (accepted as smart) and compare him to say an average person, how much difference is there. Do you think that it would be a dangerous thing if the difference grew larger and larger?

A side question I would have is, do you particularly find having intelligence important? Personally I do, silently I like the aspect of being know as a smart person, even though I don't consider myself one. I personally believe that all aspects of a human being should be strenghened (Mind/Body/Whatever), even if you are limited, why not right? we've got time.

Anyway, I was wondering do you think or can you say with certianity whether or not intelligence varies in large amounts between people. If you took a population and gave them all sorts of test with several different aspects (Alot of people would find IQ not so great for putting a number on intelligence, but it is an indication of something, but for I guess best results or compliance, other tests would be done) of intelligence do you think overall there are clear groups of people that are exponentially smarter than the rest. Take people like Einstein (accepted as smart) and compare him to say an average person, how much difference is there. Do you think that it would be a dangerous thing if the difference grew larger and larger?

You are aware that your group consists of one person, are you? Of course some persons have an IQ higher than the average - a good guess would be 50% of the people. And of course you can take those 50% of all people, put then in the group "have an IQ higher than average" and then find out that all members of this group have an IQ which is higher than the avergage. For the "how much difference is there": I don´t know Einsteins IQ but I´ve attached a little image showing the distribution of IQ within a test group:attachment.php?attachmentid=1430&stc=1&d=1163625417

A side question I would have is, do you particularly find having intelligence important?

Tough question. On the one side I would spontaneously think I like having a certain amount of iq that allows me to live an independent life, i.e. being able to orient in society without a guide. On the other side, most <insert your countries political correct term for mentally disabled people here> I´ve met were just as happy with their lives as the non-disabled. I´m tempted to say no.

IQ_Distribution.JPG

A side question I would have is, do you particularly find having intelligence important?

I think it ultimately is. We certainly behave that way - a superiority stigma. What's always bothered me is why smart people act so snooty about their intelligence. Intelligence is just as "given" to you as stupidity is. You're born with that potential just as surely as some are born without it. So why do intelligent people carry themselves and scoff at those around them as if they've done something to earn it? Knowledge and wisdom is earned - not intelligence.

So, the next time you're feeling all smart and cocky, don't show it, you just look like an asshole abusing organics that your mom and dad made...

Sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread.

On-topic

IMO, there's a lot of truth in "ignorance is bliss". Intelligence is a tradeoff, just like all other features. If <for the lack of a better word> stupidity would be fatal then we'd have higher averages. The bulk of the people are here because they have something that kept them alive.

It's like saying that being stronger is better. It is good but lightweight is also an advantage. Same goes for body structure, types of mind/intelligence and so on. Both the rhino and the butterfly made it through evolution.

What's always bothered me is why smart people act so snooty about their intelligence. Intelligence is just as "given" to you as stupidity is. You're born with that potential just as surely as some are born without it. So why do intelligent people carry themselves and scoff at those around them as if they've done something to earn it? Knowledge and wisdom is earned - not intelligence.

No IQ test intended for over 15 Years old tests native IQ alone, it tests the ability to see problems, the ability to dismantle issues into their components and tackle those, etc. All the above are gained through development; granted, you need biology to be kind first, still, if someone is really lazy the IQ will not show in a test. Those who took tests over years know that IQ numbers grows as experience and knowledge racks in.

It's very similar to watching the best piano player in the world and pointing fingers at him because he's proud of the achievement. Yes his career is largely based on natural talent, but it's not the talent he's being proud about, it's the years of sleepless night practising.

Unlike stupidity, which is truly "given", intelligence requires effort to make it shine.

We are very proud and smug (as human beings) when it comes to superiority over -say- snails. But when we say "we are superior to snails" we don't mean number of grey cells (mostly). We mean suspended highways and atom smashers. And art. And whatever you feel like inserting here. The number of grey cells is just an attempt at quantifying intelligence. And not a very good one.

You are aware that your group consists of one person, are you? Of course some persons have an IQ higher than the average - a good guess would be 50% of the people. And of course you can take those 50% of all people, put then in the group "have an IQ higher than average" and then find out that all members of this group have an IQ which is higher than the avergage.

Err maybe I didn't express myself well (Statistics is not my friend, I understand basics of it though). Let's say you were to just take two people and compare them. One with an IQ of 120 (I think that's average) and someone with an IQ of 250. That's a huge difference, easily twice as high, but are they really that much different. The 130 difference, how much is that really. I look at this from an evolutionary aspect, that's why I threw in the "dangerous" question in there.

At this point from a surivial point of view it almost irrelavent to be smart, you can surivive the same as anyone else. Maybe at one point especially with genetic engineering becoming more possible would that pose a problem (The curve shifting to the right and tightening), when lets say half the population has a huge difference in intelligence would they really need the other half to exist? I mean really I know I slow down society to an extent, I don't really contribute that much, and as soon as machines become far more smarter and technologically advanced, they won't need me (I don't know my IQ, only those internet ones, but I am sure I'd be at the cut off point).

As of right now there is no really need to worry about it, but it might be an issue in the future.