Making Private website & Small (private)Forum ?

Kedas

Hi,

I tried to find so info on the net but I can't find the answers I'm looking for.

Hope someone can help.

I wan't to make a website that is protected with a password so only family members can view the info/pictures.

But how do you do that?

- Do you have to program it all yourself?

- Is it something a provider support or doesn't? or can I do that on any free webspace?

and about the same questions but about a forum so every family member can post some news for the others to see.

Thanks for pushing me in the right direction. :)

Just an Idea and I may be way wrong here.

I was thinking about these "BLOG" programs and sites, all you`de have to do, it set one up, and only give the passwords and user ID to your family. as long as each one signs it, it should work :)

it was only a quick off the top of my head idea :)

I guess YT has a point, though I have no experience with Blogs myself.

Other than that I can say that there are several ways of password-protecting a webpage, but some ways may easily be circumvented by people with the right knowledge.

One way is with a JavaScript who pops up and asks for a password before showing the page. Other ways would be to program it in with PHP or some other code. Though that would require that the host supports PHP or the language you use.

For the forum you could program one yourself or use phpbb or something similar. Though that again requires support for PHP.

blike said in post #4 :

You could use some perl scripts to work with the password locking too. How much experience do you have with web building?

I have no experience with website java or scripts of any language.

I made a small website but notting interactive yet.

I read PHP is easier/better than Perl ?

Well, most important is to find a service provider which allows you to use the scripts and programs you want to use, like php, perl, etc.

There isn't to much difference between perl and php, but I guess php would be easier to learn. Though you will probably need a few weeks to learn it properly. If you want this webpage fast, you'll most likely need to use a premade script.

Just ask if yuo need any more help. :)

Though maybe this should be moved to the Computer->Programming subforum

PHP is a lot easier than PERL. I'd recommended using server-side code wherever security is an issue, instead of putting the code into the user's hands with client-side scripts.

There are http protocols that allow for directory password protection etc, it depends on the server configuration.

You're much better off reading dedicated articles on webdev sites than asking on a forum that has nothing to do with web development or security.